Thread: 170 or 340 vs Klipsch RP-160M

Default 170 or 340 vs Klipsch RP-160M

I am currently evaluating a pair of Klipsch RP-160M with 450C center. I was able to pick them up locally which makes trying them out basically free. I love them for movies, but only like them for music. I have had a few instances of ear fatigue after longer listening sessions (only with music, not movies). I am considering other options and the Ascend 170 and 340 appear to be highly regarded.

Has anyone done a head to head comparison of these speakers? My biggest concern with a more neutral speaker is that I will lose the dynamics of the Klipsch has with movies.

Default Re: 170 or 340 vs Klipsch RP-160M

I used to own the 340s (now have Sierra-2) and they are very dynamic. Should easily match or exceed the dynamics of that particular Klipsch model. I think Klipsch are pretty good speakers but they are known for exaggerating their specifications.

Thanks. I was hoping to find someone who had auditioned the following combinations.

170 vs 340
    Klipsch Reference Premiere vs either the 170 or 340

I would order them and do the comparison, but since I am on the east coast, the return shipping costs are quite steep.

I used to have the 170s as well. They are great speakers, but if your concern is output and dynamics, then I would look at the 340s instead. Sorry, no direct comparison to Klipsch.