Thread: What would I have to get sub wise with a Sierra 2

Question What would I have to get sub wise with a Sierra 2

I was looking at getting CMT 340's l/f/c plus a pair of CMB 170 and 2 LVr-12 subs.

For what that cost I can get 3 Sierra 2's.
    The potential problem I see is that I only have a PB-2000 sub.
    The PB 2000 is not a bad sub but I bought this with no experience in audio equipment.
    My room is 20 x 25 with 8 foot ceilings.

This is a large room I was able to make the sub work fine with the Andrew Jones speakers but if I upgrade to the Sierra 2 's I am afraid that I wont be able to get the crossover point that I need to run book shelf's.

I don't want base that shakes the windows or rattle my teeth I just want to be sure if I go with the Sierra 2 's instead of the 340's that the sierra 2 will not suffer in sound quality or make not have the base I need to make them sound like they should.

If i need a better sub then I will have to stick with the 340's and the two LVR 12's the cost of the Sierra 2 's leave me no room to buy a sub at the same time.
    Maybe next year my bonus will let me get a FV15hp but just can not do it at the same time.
    I could get a mini dsp to make the curve on the PB-2000 the best it can get though I already have the mike for it

Default Re: What would I have to get sub wise with a Sierra 2

SVS has a subwoofer selection tool called Merlin. According to this, they recommend one of their larger subs for the 340's. http://www.svsound.com/pages/merlin

Still, your existing PB2000 might work fine if you set your receiver crossover at 80Hz. Try this first to see how you like it. A system with 340's is far better than most people have.

B.

Maybe buy another PB 2000? Two subs are always better than one and might be easier to place in your room than a larger single sub. Plus might be cheaper.
    B.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post

This is a large room I was able to make the sub work fine with the Andrew Jones speakers but if I upgrade to the Sierra 2 's I am afraid that I wont be able to get the crossover point that I need to run book shelf's.
    What crossover point do you "need", and why don't think you will be able to get it?
    -curtis

I run a bk xxls400. I dont want for anything and am more than happy with the sub. Its a 12 inch English made sub. Real wood cabinet. Love it

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    What crossover point do you "need", and why don't think you will be able to get it?
    Good questions for the OP.

Without knowing what & why, difficult to make recommendations -- although Blutarsky's suggestions above are pretty good. I'd further by saying a system with S2's (or the new EX's) for the front 3 would be superb. You could always add a new sub (or second SVS) and surrounds later.

The OP was 2.5 years ago...