Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2 Stand height?

Default Sierra 2 Stand height?

Planning to order a pair of Sierra-2s soon and I'm thinking of pairing them up with these stands.

http://www.vtimanufacturing.com/prod...ds-vsp-series/

The question is ...what size? I was thinking 29in, but what does everyone recommend?

Default Re: Sierra 2 Stand height?

It really depends on how high your ears will be. I have my pair of Sierra-2s on 29 inch VTI DF stands, and they work great. My listening chair is an Ekornes Stressless recliner:

https://www.smartfurniture.com/produ...ICK%20SNOW-HFP

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick response bobola! I'm not sure of my seating arrangement yet, but typically I like the tweeter to be at least 40in high.

Your ears should be even with the center of the tweeter, so choose the height based on the height of your ears to the floor. I had 30” stands which put the tweeter a few inches above my ears, but I replaced those with 26” high ones. That made a noticeable improvement in soundstaging and imaging.

I usually aim for the mid point between the centers of the two adjacent drivers - the tweeter and the mid-range/woofer. In that plane, the two sum the same, acoustically, regardless of the listening distance. That is what I would use as a reference in a design, but I don't know if Dave uses that as his reference. In an MTM arrangement, I would expect to be right in the plane of the tweeters.

I have VTI stands under my Sierra 2 L & R and my Horizon C and love them. Zero trouble, quite secure with some Blu-Tak, and they disappear sonically and visually.

Note I have the DF-29s for my L & R and the DFC-19 for my center (I also use a foam wedge to angle the center toward the main listening position). This combo has worked very well for me (the 29" stands puts the Sierra 2 tweeters at my ear level as seated in MLP theater recliners).

Although this may be obvious, I will state it regardless:
    Your eyes are ear level so you can use them as a guide as well.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by whitey019 View Post
    Planning to order a pair of Sierra-2s soon and I'm thinking of pairing them up with these stands.

http://www.vtimanufacturing.com/prod...ds-vsp-series/

The question is ...what size? I was thinking 29in, but what does everyone recommend?
    I really like those VTI stands. Another option are these stands from Sanus: http://a.co/5NfbmJl

Keep in mind that a few inches above or a few inches below ear-level isn't going to make any audible difference...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Does anyone know why the top plates of the speaker stands are usually small in size, instead of being large enough to rest the whole speaker on it

On my Pangea stands, i cringe placing the Sierra 2 as it only covers about 50% of the area of the S2's base

Quote Originally Posted by maheeinfy View Post
    Does anyone know why the top plates of the speaker stands are usually small in size, instead of being large enough to rest the whole speaker on it

On my Pangea stands, i cringe placing the Sierra 2 as it only covers about 50% of the area of the S2's base
    I've always wondered that myself. I suppose it is to accommodate many different sizes of speakers. I bought a pair of VTI VPS speakers in part because they had one of the larger top plates (8"x6.5"), but are still much smaller than the Sierra 2. I decided to make a bracket out of metal strap (heavier than what is used for duct work) and secure it under the top plate and attach it to the bolt mount on the back of the Sierras. I also used a rubber grommet to prevent the bracket from touching the speaker at any point. I'll post a picture after I get home this evening.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...-204225755-_-N