Quote Originally Posted by Jimfinn2112 View Post
Thanks Dave,
I'll do it and get back to you. The guys who have responded to my thread all seem to think it's the room and reccomend treatments at the first reflection points. I was curious as to your take on that!
Typically, when someone describes a "hollow" sound it is usually issues in the upper bass region, for which treating first reflection points would be rather pointless. In addition, since the speakers sound great at lower volumes and seem to get hollow sounding at louder volumes, that is a key indication of room modes.

My hunch is that it is a combination of standing waves and speaker/sub integration. Also, when taking Audyssey measurements, it is critical to follow the recommended microphone placement guide. Many people run Audyssey with the mic just at the listening position and this most often ends up with poor results. All 12 positions should be used...

Also let me know what settings you are using on the sub...

Dina mentioned that you sent her an email and are getting better results with a few of her recommendations, that is a good start -- but best steps at this point is to follow my procedures so we can isolate the issue. Now, I am not saying we can fully fix the issue, there are no quick fixes to room modes if this is the issue, but we can certainly take steps to reduce their impact.