Thread: Oppo BDP 203 Lives On

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Oppo BDP 203 Lives On

Just noticed the Sound and Vision review of the Cambridge Audio’s UHD Blu-Ray player, which is basically just cosmetic changes to the Oppo BDP 203.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-player-review

If you didn’t get one before the scalpers bought them all up, you can get one now. It is a slight premium in price for the Cambridge name. But, it is not as bad as I thought it would be as far as price gouging. I could have got one of the Oppo players before they were gone, but I didn’t feel great about getting a player that doesn’t have the firmware support in the future. I would feel much better getting the Cambridge unit, in that regard. Not that they will necessarily be as responsive as Oppo was, but if they are still in business they should be at least somewhat responsive. Who knows maybe Oppo will be supporting the firmware in the background.

Default Re: Oppo BDP 203 Lives On

Congrats. I picked up my Oppo 203 several months ago. FYI - per Oppo's website, they say they will be supporting warranties and firmware upgrades in the future...

https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

Will learn to be happy with my OPPO BDP-95. I just hope that they support upgrades and repairs in the future

Price has really gone nuclear, you can sell used 205s for $1800 now...

I paid $1700 for my 205 about five days after the news first dropped.

It was hardware modded to be code free so there was already a slight premium tacked on, but waiting three days I saw the price go up $300. Still seems like a bargain now.

Part of what prompted me to finally pull the trigger was a belief that resale value would more or less hold if I found it was more machine than I needed or the cost/value proposition didn't sit well.
    Neither of those happened. The improvements in sound that I was hoping for with the better DACs is something I can hear.

Even if someone offered me $2K for it, I wouldn't sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mose Harper View Post
    I paid $1700 for my 205 about five days after the news first dropped.

It was hardware modded to be code free so there was already a slight premium tacked on, but waiting three days I saw the price go up $300. Still seems like a bargain now.

Part of what prompted me to finally pull the trigger was a belief that resale value would more or less hold if I found it was more machine than I needed or the cost/value proposition didn't sit well.
    Neither of those happened. The improvements in sound that I was hoping for with the better DACs is something I can hear.

Even if someone offered me $2K for it, I wouldn't sell it.
    Curious, improvement in sound versus which player previously? I'm on the contact me list for the 205 for when the last run is made, and am considering picking one up should I be high enough on the list.