Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Sierra 2 Ribbon Flexing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    5

    Default Sierra 2 Ribbon Flexing

    Hey all! hope all is well.

    Out of curiosity, has anyone ever noticed the ribbon on the RAAl tweeter move? On one of mine I can see it flexing and moving when being used.

    Appreciate any feedback!

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SouthWest of Cleveland
    Posts
    1,541

    Default Re: Sierra 2 Ribbon Flexing

    I have noticed that as well, pretty wild to watch the foil ripple and twist!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,764

    Default Re: Sierra 2 Ribbon Flexing

    Quote Originally Posted by jpmc View Post
    Hey all! hope all is well.

    Out of curiosity, has anyone ever noticed the ribbon on the RAAl tweeter move? On one of mine I can see it flexing and moving when being used.

    Appreciate any feedback!

    Thanks!
    This is how soundwaves are produced -- no movement, no sound....
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Sierra 2 Ribbon Flexing

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    This is how soundwaves are produced -- no movement, no sound....
    Thanks David. That much I knew (for that matter most of us on this board know). I think being more specific might help. I believe a while back people spoke about RAAl showing a tightening procedure on the ribbon when it is replaced. I am sure there is a threshold as to how loose (or tight) these should be.

    Are there negative effects of having a ribbon looser than the recommended amount?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,764

    Default Re: Sierra 2 Ribbon Flexing

    Quote Originally Posted by jpmc View Post
    Thanks David. That much I knew (for that matter most of us on this board know). I think being more specific might help. I believe a while back people spoke about RAAl showing a tightening procedure on the ribbon when it is replaced. I am sure there is a threshold as to how loose (or tight) these should be.

    Are there negative effects of having a ribbon looser than the recommended amount?
    The tightening procedure you mention is only for RAAL 70-20's and that is when the ribbon diaphragm is replaced as the diaphragm replacement modules are not pre-tensioned at the factory because they first need to be installed into the housing. The ribbon in your Sierra-2 is entirely different and is set by the factory (RAAL). You will destroy your tweeter if you attempt to tighten the diaphragm as is done with RAAL 70-20 diaphragm replacements.

    Yes, there can be negative effects if the tension is too high -- the tension of the diaphragm needs to be loose enough to allow the diaphragm to move freely, as it is doing. However, the design of these ribbons is such that too much tension is not possible. Again, there is nothing wrong here -- the ribbons need to move and the movement correlates directly to what frequencies are being reproduced and at what volume. If you feel the ribbon is moving too much, lower the volume.
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •