Thread: Sierra 2 Ribbon Flexing

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Sierra 2 Ribbon Flexing

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    As I have stated many times, ribbon tweeters can be sensitive to amplifier clipping, the distortion of which causes transverse waves that will cause the diaphragm to vibrate in a direction against the proper movement of the ribbon. when this happens, the ribbon actually fights against itself. This is equally damaging to dome tweeters as well (really any tweeter) - -the difference is that in a dome, the transverse waves cause excessive heat in the voice coil which eventually leads to the voice coil becoming burned. The difference is that one will "see" this damage to a ribbon tweeter and generally assume something isn't right with the ribbon, while with other tweeters, the damage is internal and can't be seen - it just eventually stops and the average consumer does not know what happened.

I remember your tweeters, this was 4 1/2 years ago and the diaphragms were basically disintegrated.
    This occurred because you were listening at 100dB+ at approx. 9 feet distance from a Yamaha receiver rated at 100 watts into 2-channels. You were running all 5 channels at the same time which dramatically reduces that output power capability of the receiver (likely down to about a max of 60-70 watts all channels driven) Simple math tells us that with speakers rated at 86dB sensitivity, to reach 100dB (extremely loud), at your listening distance required more power than you receiver was capable of, thus you were clipping your receiver.

We replaced the tweeters for you and then you upgraded to a 300watt per channel amplifier. You melted these tweeters only a week later... I explained to you that at the listening distance and volume levels you were trying to achieve, these were absolutely NOT the right speakers for you, we took the speakers back from you after the return period had expired.

Your situation was entirely different and not related to the above. Your tweeter had a small hole in it, a puncture, and I sent you pics of precisely what caused the damage, we found debris inside the tweeter. You have been running your pair of sierra-2 without issue for 2 years now (other than (2) damaged cabinets you requested that we replace for you due to damage)

We have been there for you every step of the way, and will continue to do so.
    I can't really say much about the previous poster and his issues, I can only comment on my experience.

Dave, I never compared his situation with mine. I understand they were different situations. I simply shared my experience with my tweeter.

It does concern me that the old ribbon (speaker that has the original ribbon) moves much more than the new one. Is it that there is a break in period for the new one since it's new and tight? I don't know. Will it eventually loosen as much as the old one? Who knows... Does this have an impact on one tweeter producing frequencies differently than the old one. Maybe.

I often tend to stay behind and not comment immediately because I like to truly analyze situations and responses. I am a mechanical engineer. I make flight critical parts for big oem aerospace companies everyone here has heard of (including defense). To receive a description like "This is how soundwaves are produced -- no movement, no sound.... " and "If you feel the ribbon is moving too much, lower the volume." are unnecessary and can come as an insult to ones intelligence. It's not an issue to me but it might be to some on here that are also looking for objective answers.

I will say it again. I love these speakers, I truly believe these will eventually hold to be a classic wanted set years from now.

Full disclaimer: Dave has repaired one cabinet when my speakers were new because I used sorbothane on the bottom of the speaker and damaged the Bamboo.

This second repair was due to the tweeter tearing on an edge and with time the tear extended. As I attempted to replace the tweeter I scratched the cabinet with a screw that slipped.

His workmanship, and his attention to detail to match my older cabinet was second to none. I do not disregard your efforts.

Thank you for supporting me with your products. I appreciate everything you and Dina do to stand behind them.

I guess this is why I am a bit confused with feedback on this thread since I would never expect this.

Have a wonderful day everyone.
    Last edited by jpmc; 06-30-2018 at 04:26 PM.