Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Amplifier In the Works

Default Re: New Amplifier In the Works

Really I’d have to check if those are peaks or averages.

I would think I’d see peak and average on the device but I would have to read the manual it came with.

Quote Originally Posted by jpmc View Post
    Really I’d have to check if those are peaks or averages.

I would think I’d see peak and average on the device but I would have to read the manual it came with.
    Like mentioned before, lighting up the peak lights on the amp all the time, something isn't right, and it jives with extremely loud listening levels that you just measured.

I can drive people out of my room before those lights come on with my amp.
    Last edited by curtis; 07-14-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Like mentioned before, lighting up the peak lights on the amp all the time, something isn't right, and it jives with extremely loud listening levels that you just measured.

I can drive people out of my room before those lights come on with my amp.
    I might not be making my point correctly. The lights are NOT on all the time. They will flash briefly at those levels at which point I lower the level until they do not come on again.

I agree with driving people out of the room at those levels, it really depends on peoples thresholds.

I might not be making my point correctly. The lights are NOT on all the time. They will flash briefly at those levels at which point I lower the level until they do not come on again.

I agree with driving people out of the room at those levels, it really depends on peoples thresholds.
    My question is: Why do they even come on at all? Do you wish you can listen louder than what the amp/speakers will allow?

With your listening position at 4.5 feet, I really don't understand it.
    -curtis

The lights are NOT on all the time. They will flash briefly at those levels at which point I lower the level until they do not come on again.
    BTW...this seems like a regular occurrence, hence my use of "all the time".
    -curtis

BTW...this seems like a regular occurrence, hence my use of "all the time".
    Reading the tweeter thread, this does seem to be an issue.
    -curtis

Initially I commented what I had seen. It is a new amplifier. My old amplifier did not have this.

I’m ok with the levels it sounds now. In a previous moment Dave and I were set out to find what might be happening. Based on the spl levels and when the peak lights would come on, we would find more information.

If the lights came on at the levels I reported then we can assume the amplifier is operating correctly. It is reaching the levels expected where that would be an occurrence.

If the peak lights went on at an SPL reading of 80db then something else might have been going on.

Did I say 4.5ft? I meant meters...

The tweeter thread might correlate with what we are seeing here. High power amp, high levels, ribbon flexes and moves all over the place.

I am already in talks with Dave on an issue related to this.

Did I say 4.5ft? I meant meters...
    Ahh! That would explain it. That requires a lot more power to meet that 100-103db than at 4.5 feet.
    -curtis

Ahh! That would explain it. That requires a lot more power to meet that 100-103db than at 4.5 feet.
    Yes sir. On the other hand, I am beginning to think my pre amplifier might be having an effect on the amplifier showing the peak lights.

See I am using what used to be my previous amplifier (integrated music hall audio) as a pre amplifier. The more I look at the specs, the more it makes me think this might be part of the issues with that.

I have been "upgrading" my setup little by little (as much as my time permits me to do research).

The pre-out line voltage is actually pretty low 660mV. This could be clipping or maxing out the signal as it gets to the amplifier. Maybe, just a theory and I don't know enough about it to be sure.

From the specs off of the ATI AT1802, the amp requires 1.8V input for full power output.

Good news is, this week I get a brand new Belles audio pre-amp sent out to me (which based on what I've read should be just what I am looking for).

Their line out is reated at 3V so if it is having an effect on what I am seeing, this might be part of it.

I shall report more soon.