Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Amplifier In the Works

Default Re: New Amplifier In the Works

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Something isn't right... That is an extremely powerful amplifier (we have one in our demo room) I have never had the peak indicator light up, not even once, even with a listening distance of 12-14 feet away from the speakers. Please keep in mind that if that peak indicator is lighting up, you are hitting the Sierra-2 with at least 200 watts, which is well above their max power handling capability. You risk doing serious damage to the speakers.

In addition, at only 4.5 feet away, it is important for you to realize that you are reaching a volume level of above 110dB, which can easily cause permanent damage to your hearing in less than a minute... This may be why you are seeing so much movement on your ribbon tweeters.

Amplifiers do not break-in... Power amplifiers like these have fixed gain, and the peak indicator measures either the voltage level of the amplifier output, the output current, or power supply ripple current, either way - when the peak indicator lights up - your amplifier is reaching its absolute maximum output. Only 2 possibilities here, you are either listening at a ridiculously high volume level and pushing the speakers too hard, or there is something wrong with your amp...
    Maybe I'm going deaf lol

Maybe I can hit two birds with one stone here while we check some stuff out.

I've been toying with the idea of adding some absorption panels (since I know there are a tone of reflections in my listening room)

I have been looking into running REW but cant decide if thats the best tool for what I need. But now I also want to measure SPL levels to see if maybe I am really pushing more than I should be on volume levels.

What would kill two birds with one stone Dave? What do you suggest I do for this scenario with tightning up the room and also measuring to see what volumes I have been pushing the speakers to.

Thanks for all the help.

J
    Last edited by jpmc; 07-03-2018 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpmc View Post
    Maybe I'm going deaf lol

Maybe I can hit two birds with one stone here while we check some stuff out.

I've been toying with the idea of adding some absorption panels (since I know there are a tone of reflections in my listening room)

I have been looking into running REW but cant decide if thats the best tool for what I need. But now I also want to measure SPL levels to see if maybe I am really pushing more than I should be on volume levels.

What would kill two birds with one stone Dave? What do you suggest I do for this scenario with tightning up the room and also measuring to see what volumes I have been pushing the speakers to.

Thanks for all the help.

J
    The first step should be getting a calibrated SPL meter so we can determine what exactly is going on...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,

Do you think this will do the trick?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07558DPKN/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ADEITUI78DBPL&psc=1
    Last edited by jpmc; 07-07-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Dave,

I think you forgot to attach something...
    -curtis

Fixed!

Dave,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0755...UI78DBPL&psc=1
    No, you need an SPL meter that has "C" weighting. Something like this: http://a.co/cpLetKY

You can find plenty of videos on youtube about how to properly measure peak SPL...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I received the SPL meter that Dave recommended.

I tested the same tracks that I usually saw the “peak” lights on.

It was reading about 100-103db before there was a slight indication of the peak light coming on.

I received the SPL meter that Dave recommended.

I tested the same tracks that I usually saw the “peak” lights on.

It was reading about 100-103db before there was a slight indication of the peak light coming on.
    That’s pretty loud. That’s your “normal” listening levels.

At those peaks, I still don’t think you should be seeing the peak lights.
    -curtis

Those aren’t my normal listening levels.

I’d say it’s momentarely. Well I’m not sure if they were peaks. I’d say that was average dB.

Would a tweeter failing trip the peak lights?

Those aren’t my normal listening levels.

I’d say it’s momentarely. Well I’m not sure if they were peaks. I’d say that was average dB.

Would a tweeter failing trip the peak lights?
    if that’s average, that is crazy loud.

As as for the tweeter failing, Dave would need to answer that. At that average level though, it might qualify as abuse.
    -curtis