Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Amplifier In the Works

Default New Amplifier In the Works

I have a pair of Sierra 2’s that I think might benefit from more power. Currently I run them full range with a musichall audio integrated 50Wx2 setup.

I’m in between a pair of monoblocks from outlaw model 2200 (200W each) or a parasound a23 (125Wx2 dual channel amp).

Any recommendations?

Thanks for the time!

Default Re: New Amplifier In the Works

Hard to answer without knowing room size, type of music, etc. I ran my S2s with a variety of gear. 85wpc Yamaha integrated, 120wpc Plinius integrated and 250wpc Teac integrated. Finally settled on a 70wpc Marantz integrated and it works well in my treated 18 x 10 listening room.
    You have amazing speakers, and my experience would suggest electronics won't make a huge difference. Depending on your situation, $ may be better spent on room treatments, a solid DAC or turntable (if you're into vinyl).
    My journey indicates that speakers, turntable/cartridge, DAC and SACD player choices (in that order) have yielded more noticeable improvement than electronics. And the Plinius and Teac units are no slouches ... the latter sharing engineering with the Esoteric team.

Quote Originally Posted by jpmc View Post
    I have a pair of Sierra 2’s that I think might benefit from more power. Currently I run them full range with a musichall audio integrated 50Wx2 setup.

I’m in between a pair of monoblocks from outlaw model 2200 (200W each) or a parasound a23 (125Wx2 dual channel amp).

Any recommendations?

Thanks for the time!
    Quick question -- how far back is your main listening position from the speakers?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Quick question -- how far back is your main listening position from the speakers?
    Dave,

I sit about 4.5ft away from the speakers. I have since then upgraded to an ATI AT6002 amplifier.

Dave,

I sit about 4.5ft away from the speakers. I have since then upgraded to an ATI AT6002 amplifier.
    Wow!! 300wpc and only 4.5’ from the speakers?

Do you notice any kind of difference from the 50wpc integrated? If so, can you describe it for us?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Wow!! 300wpc and only 4.5’ from the speakers?

Do you notice any kind of difference from the 50wpc integrated? If so, can you describe it for us?
    Wait, did I just write that? It must be a sign It was a typo. I actually upgraded to an ATI AT1802 180W/channel.

The most noticeable difference to me is there is a perceived pronouncement of certain instruments in the lower mid range. I hear some bass tones more pronounced than I used to. Most sounds are clearly more pronounced.

The low range bass is definitely tighter which is always welcome. Overall I'd say much better control and better emphasis on certain frequencies (I can only imagine it's cleaned up a bit).

One welcome addition is the peak light indicator, whenever I see those just hint I immediately back up on the volume. It does surprise me that I can still make the amp peak being this thing is massive! It was almost impossible to move this amplifier around (so heavy).

I did however come from a pretty good integrated (musichall audio 15.3 amp). I am still using it as a pre-amp untill I can source a dedicated pre-amp.

I use an older five channel version of that amp, the 1505. I am surprised you can light up the peak light, I never have, and I have cranked it pretty loud, but I do use a sub.
    -curtis

Yeah, I was surprised too. Maybe it’s too new and needs a break in? Could also be the gain level output of my pre-amp is too high.

I don’t know enough about it to be sure though.

Maybe Dave can chime in. What SPL levels do you feel comfortable with the Sierra 2s?

When listening in Ascend’s demo room, with a stereo pair of S2’s, we hit close to 100db peaks as a test(I forget the exact number, it was much louder than even my loudest listening levels) Dave was measuring with his calibrated mic. I think that was 12’ away using an ADA PTM-6150, which is also a 150wpc amp.

Personally, I don’t think I get listen much more than 90-95 dB peaks at most. I sit about 9.5’ away.

Yeah, so maybe there is an issue with the gain levels.
    Last edited by curtis; 07-01-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    -curtis

Yeah, I was surprised too. Maybe it’s too new and needs a break in? Could also be the gain level output of my pre-amp is too high.

I don’t know enough about it to be sure though.

Maybe Dave can chime in. What SPL levels do you feel comfortable with the Sierra 2s?
    Something isn't right... That is an extremely powerful amplifier (we have one in our demo room) I have never had the peak indicator light up, not even once, even with a listening distance of 12-14 feet away from the speakers. Please keep in mind that if that peak indicator is lighting up, you are hitting the Sierra-2 with at least 200 watts, which is well above their max power handling capability. You risk doing serious damage to the speakers.

In addition, at only 4.5 feet away, it is important for you to realize that you are reaching a volume level of above 110dB, which can easily cause permanent damage to your hearing in less than a minute... This may be why you are seeing so much movement on your ribbon tweeters.

Amplifiers do not break-in... Power amplifiers like these have fixed gain, and the peak indicator measures either the voltage level of the amplifier output, the output current, or power supply ripple current, either way - when the peak indicator lights up - your amplifier is reaching its absolute maximum output. Only 2 possibilities here, you are either listening at a ridiculously high volume level and pushing the speakers too hard, or there is something wrong with your amp...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com