Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new Sierra Raal Towers on the way

Default My new Sierra Raal Towers on the way

On my 70th birthday I called Dina to place an order for new Sierra Raal Towers.
    These beautiful dark cherry towers are my birthday gift. Today they have shipped and are
    on their way home.

My new towers will be replacing my much loved Infinity Beta 50s. I expect that my new
    Sierra Raal Towers will be a major upgrade over an already accomplished set of speakers.

Putting into words the new realms of subtle detail nuances and dynamics will be somewhat of a challenge given the amount new musical expressions that I will be hearing.
    Somehow will endeavor to give you feedback....may take a while though.

So Dina and Dave thank you...am looking forward to my Sierra's homecoming.
    My system:
    Power: PS Audio P5 regenerator,
    Sources: Oppo 205, 105, Ah 4000 upsampled cdp.
    Preamps: Wyre4Sound STP SE Stage 2, Classic Mcintosh Mx110 all tubed
    tuner preamp, occasionally Emotiva XSP1 Gen 2
    Power amp: Parasound Halo A-21
    Speakers: Infinity Beta 50 cmmd (Dr Floyd Toole concept)
    Power cables: 2 Pangea AC 9SE MkII, 3 Pangea AC 14SE MkII
    Interconnects: XLR Nordost Red Dawn
    Speaker wires: Nordost Red Dawn

Default Re: My new Sierra Raal Towers on the way

Congratulations! Looking forward to your impressions.

I made the same switch - Beta 50s to Cherry Sierra RAAL towers - a few years ago. My first impression was that the Sierra towers are much smaller than I expected, and much more handsome. They're like a beautiful piece of furniture, and I still frequently find myself admiring them when they're turned off.

I was a bit disappointed with the sound of the Sierras compared to the Betas at first. I think I was expecting the Sierras to sound like better Betas, but they sound quite different. It wasn't until I set the Betas up in another room a few weeks later that I finally, truly appreciated the Sierras. The Betas are an excellent value at $700 (what I paid for my pair), but they're not in the same league as the Sierras.

I hope you enjoy your upgrade as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Cheers, and happy 70th.
    Last edited by Kald9299; 05-13-2018 at 04:33 AM.

Hi Kaid,

Thank you kindly for your reply. Many many times I have wondered where to go and how far up I needed to go money wise in order to achieve a worthwhile upgrade.

Like yourself I was hoping for a better-refined Beta 50. The Beta 50s are really hard to improve upon.
    Yet after reading so many testimonials particularly Freesole's comparo with Focal 936. Thank you Freesole for taking the time to write up such a beautiful detailed account report comparing the Focals to the your Sierra Raal towers. I had been thinking Focal Aria 948 or the Electra 1038be. Perhaps Axiom M100s or
    PSB T3s, Salk was definitely in my consideration.
    The Focals seemed to answer the "better Beta 50" question.Yet in my mind I was thinking how much better?. Freesole"s review seems to indicate that the Focals are very smooth in the treble but gave way to
    some graininess on the brushing of the drums where as the Sierras did not.
    Since the dynamics and impact were about the same between the Focal 936 and the Sierra Raal Towers
    with the advantage of the Raal ribbon's smoothness, the nasties attributed to dome tweeters will be entirely eliminated in the Sierra Raal Towers.
    So I shall soon find out this will all play out when my new towers are installed.

Kaid please tell me about your room dimensions and how your towers are positioned, also about your sources, pre-amp, power amp. Power conditioning if any...cables interconnects etc.

Thanks Kaid
    My system:

4 Luv,
    Funny- I went through a similar discover path. I wanted to upgrade from my Axiom M80s, which lead me to Monitor Silvers, which lead me to Sonus Faber, and then to Focals, which I was poised to try, until reading the infamous Focal vs Sierra Tower thread. My Axiom and Legacy background has clearly given me a soft spot for internet direct speaker manufacturers!
    I'm now the proud owner of Sierra/Horizon/Luna RAAL setup and I'm just ecstatic. There is just SO much detail in the music and soundtracks, but without any of the fatigue. I'm running with just a Marantz 6012 which allows for plenty of power to fill my huge vaulted great room with great sound. Audyssey has REALLY stepped up their game. I love listening to classical music at low volume with Dynamic on light volume- really brings out the details (before it was just uninteresting background noise).

Enjoy!

Thank you Brady for sharing. Did you get to audition the Sonus Faber? if so which model...and the Focals ?
    If so what did you come away with? Sonus Faber Venere S perhaps as high up as Olympica IIIs.

Like yourself I like listening at low levels myself classical as well, jazz and gospel.

Could you please tell me the approximate dimensions of your listening room?
    Have been struggling with the idea that my room 15x25 x 8 L shaped to the right of listening position
    could be too large for the towers to load the room ( for lack of better expression ) when music or choral parts swell as the music builds...ex Reference Recordings Rutter Requiems Pie Jesu and if your volume is turned up the next track Sanctus will be rather explosive..My Beta 50s handle this with applomb...Any further feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
    My system:

I didn't audition any speakers, just read a lot. I'm too lazy and cheap to go through all that. I knew what I was looking for: mid range clarity, low fatigue, detail, imaging. I didn't care so much about bass extension. The Towers live up to all I was pining for and then some (the bass is surprising).

My current listen room is an awkward great room space, sharing dining, kitchen and hallway spaces. the main area is about 18ft x 20ft with 17ft vaulted ceiling. That doesn't include the connected kitchen or hallways. Wood floors, and lots of windows. VERY challenging space! I've got the Towers about 9" from the back wall. I listen at 75-85dB, with occasional peaks to 90 when I'm feeling adventurous. This includes pop, acoustical, rock, classical. I was really pushing it this weekend when I had the house to myself and just in sheer bliss. I currently have an Axiom EP500 sub in the mix, but I'm not a basshead and don't have it cranked up hot, but it does a nice job of rounding out that bottom octave (crossed over at 60Hz).
    You should also know I'm very "low brow" when it comes to source and cables. Sonos hard wired to my network, FLAC files on the PC but I stream a lot of MP3s on Amazon music service. Basic Blue Jean 10-gauge speaker cables. I'm with Dave on this- the speakers are by far the most important component in the chain.

Have fun!

Thank you Brady..

Appreciate your feed back....very helpful for me...
    Naw your not lazy, just very wise and practical..

As for me I was using wonderful bluejeans and finally had to scratch the Nordost cable itch...audition if I didnt like them I would return...doesnt hurt that I stepped into a 20% discount for the speaker cables and ics.

Turns out I like them very very much...will keep my snake oil cables now. They are that much of a step up over bluejeans and Amazing I too have the 10 gauge bluejeans speaker cable with pangea terminations bi-wired...but my new red dawns are quite a step up....who would've thought. And no the red dawns are not thin sounding or lacking bass at all...but just my .02 experience so far.

Thanks Brady for replying it is appreciated.
    My system:

my pleasure- this forum has helped me loads, so glad I can contribute back a little. We all look forward to hearing your impressions soon!

So Dave, Dina, Kaid, Brady Kaid and all reading:

New out of the box ...with 0 time on them...they out Beta the Beta 50s handily ...super refined Beta 50s would be the better sense of it. My new Sierra Raal Towers present so much more in mids and highs...bass well this needs will require new positioning and more than likely settling in time. I will give more details as play run time increases. The Reference Recordings: Ritter Requiems Pie Jesu..choral has greater clarity definition but the back wall behind speaker swell of the organ is not quite there yet. Some of this swell can be felt...so a little tweaking here and there we shall hear.

These are beautiful instruments.

Again thank you Dave, Dina and Ascend team.
    My system: