Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3 -way sierra bookshelf?

Default Re: 3 -way sierra bookshelf?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    The tower uses an exceptional midrange and our customized RAAL 70-20xram, so it is really the best of both worlds.
    the only way to get them in bookshelf speakers form factor would be to get horizon with RAAL?

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    the only way to get them in bookshelf speakers form factor would be to get horizon with RAAL?
    I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean the combination of the Tower Midrange and RAAL 70-20xram?

The midrange in the tower is not really appropriate for a 2-way speaker as it will start to rolloff at around 180Hz.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean the combination of the Tower Midrange and RAAL 70-20xram?

The midrange in the tower is not really appropriate for a 2-way speaker as it will start to rolloff at around 180Hz.
    I meant to ask is it accurate that if I wanted a bookshelf sized speaker which had the tower midrange, would the only option be horizon which mates it with the woofer ( and tweeter of our choice) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I meant to ask is it accurate that if I wanted a bookshelf sized speaker which had the tower midrange, would the only option be horizon which mates it with the woofer ( and tweeter of our choice) ?
    Technically yes, but we would be happy to make something custom for you. We have made 2-way bookshelf speakers with the tower midrange and the RAAL 70-20xr, but they need to be crossed to a sub at 120Hz minimum...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Technically yes, but we would be happy to make something custom for you. We have made 2-way bookshelf speakers with the tower midrange and the RAAL 70-20xr, but they need to be crossed to a sub at 120Hz minimum...
    I see. Let me give you a call/email. I guess it might be easier to discuss there.

thanks!

Sounds like it is effectively a tower then.

It does actually -- we have made a few custom Sierra-2's with the RAAL 70-20xr. We can cross much lower with this tweeter which improves mids a bit as well as dispersion. The neat thing about the 70-20, which is unique to this RAAL, is this tweeter has far superior damping to any other RAAL ribbon (and likely any other ribbon tweeter as well). However, I am not sure that the rather significant price increase resulting from the tweeter switch is worth the performance increase. Definitely something to consider though...
    I am still intrigued by this idea and the relative merits. Has it been addressed more elsewhere? Is there more to say about it? I have been thinking about the potential for an "ultimate satellite" speaker - sealed, with response to 80 Hz for perfect integration with a good sub at that optimum frequency with standard crossover slopes. Would that just be an S2 with RAAL 70-20, sealed cabinet and tweaked crossover? I assume a Luna-based approach is too small for this.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jimb; 04-19-2018 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    Sounds like it is effectively a tower then.
    No, not at all... More of a very high performance satellite speaker that needs to be paired with an appropriate subwoofer.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

No, not at all... More of a very high performance satellite speaker that needs to be paired with an appropriate subwoofer.
    I meant that once combined them with the two required, and suitable subs (like 2 F8s), you end up with something like a tower and maybe a tower would be a preferred implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    I meant that once combined them with the two required, and suitable subs (like 2 F8s), you end up with something like a tower and maybe a tower would be a preferred implementation.
    Well, on the surface it might appear that way, but in reality it is quite a bit different. Subwoofers really don't do a very good job above 80Hz, and the woofers in the towers are crossed to the midwoofer at ~180Hz with very tight phase integration with very wide dispersion (a big advantage of using smaller woofers). Using (2) F8's with this high performance satellite speaker that we are discussing will sound great, but it will not sound like the tower.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com