Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3 -way sierra bookshelf?

Default Re: 3 -way sierra bookshelf?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Well, on the surface it might appear that way, but in reality it is quite a bit different. Subwoofers really don't do a very good job above 80Hz, and the woofers in the towers are crossed to the midwoofer at ~180Hz with very tight phase integration with very wide dispersion (a big advantage of using smaller woofers). Using (2) F8's with this high performance satellite speaker that we are discussing will sound great, but it will not sound like the tower.
    I think this means the tower would be preferred, sonically, right? If so, it sounds like the key reason this person did it was for some physical space integration benefits. That certainly was a factor for me with the Lunas. I'm still interested in what might be an ultimate satellite, crossed over at 80 Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    I think this means the tower would be preferred, sonically, right? If so, it sounds like the key reason this person did it was for some physical space integration benefits. That certainly was a factor for me with the Lunas. I'm still interested in what might be an ultimate satellite, crossed over at 80 Hz.
    Correct - the towers would definitely provide overall better performance. We made these custom speakers for a customer who wanted to use these as front height speakers for a perfect timbre match to the towers from ~ 200Hz and up.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Correct - the towers would definitely provide overall better performance. We made these custom speakers for a customer who wanted to use these as front height speakers for a perfect timbre match to the towers from ~ 200Hz and up.
    Nice!

I think it's hard to make a 3-way monitor look aesthetically good without going with coaxial drivers. All of the traditional 3-ways I've seen looked kinda goofy. Better off with a tower or a 2-way monitor most of the time.

Hi Dave,

Reviving this thread as I've also heard so much about the amazing midrange of the towers but have limited space and cannot accommodate towers. The size/weight of the Horizon is also too much. I currently have Sierra-2 for LCR and love them. So I don't know that I need more, but research and curiosity is big part of this hobby!

Some questions:

1) What is the sensitivity of a Sierra-2 with 70-20xr? Does it go up or down substantially compared to stock Sierra-2?

2) About a year ago in the "Sierra-1 NrT: Next phase" thread you mentioned working with SEAS on a dedicated 6" Curv midrange, but said the cost/performance ratio was not ideal. You also mentioned that since it was a custom part, you couldn't offer the driver for custom orders as you'd need to order in bulk. In this thread, you say the Sierra-2 with the tower midrange would need to crossover around 120hz (too high for many reasons), and so I was wondering how much lower that 6" Curv midrange could go. It seems the "ultimate satellite" would be a 70-20xr paired with an amazing midrange driver that reached down to ~80hz. Front ported would be a bonus, as I imagine sealed would make it difficult to get a midrange driver to go down to 80hz.

It does actually -- we have made a few custom Sierra-2's with the RAAL 70-20xr. We can cross much lower with this tweeter which improves mids a bit as well as dispersion. The neat thing about the 70-20, which is unique to this RAAL, is this tweeter has far superior damping to any other RAAL ribbon (and likely any other ribbon tweeter as well). However, I am not sure that the rather significant price increase resulting from the tweeter switch is worth the performance increase. Definitely something to consider though...
    How does this custom Sierra-2 with the 70-20 RAAL compared to the RAAL tower? Does the Curv woofer in the Sierra-2 have any advantages over the woofers used in the tower? Does the addition of a dedicated midrange driver in the tower make any potential advantages of the Curv woofer moot?

Also, what is the sensitivity and power handling of the Sierra-2 with 70-20 RAAL?

What is the crossover frequency for the standard Sierra-2 vs the Sierra-2 with 70-20 RAAL?

Quote Originally Posted by ed_bob View Post
    How does this custom Sierra-2 with the 70-20 RAAL compared to the RAAL tower? Does the Curv woofer in the Sierra-2 have any advantages over the woofers used in the tower? Does the addition of a dedicated midrange driver in the tower make any potential advantages of the Curv woofer moot?

Also, what is the sensitivity and power handling of the Sierra-2 with 70-20 RAAL?

What is the crossover frequency for the standard Sierra-2 vs the Sierra-2 with 70-20 RAAL?
    The custom S2 with the tower ribbon tweeter gets a bit closer to the performance of the tower, but it still does not match it. The dedicated low-mass midrange of the tower provides more midrange detail and the dual woofers in the tower provide deeper bass and more "slam"...

With our RAAL 70-20xram, we typically cross between 1800-2000 Hz, with the S2 tweeter, we typically cross between 2800-3000.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

The custom S2 with the tower ribbon tweeter gets a bit closer to the performance of the tower, but it still does not match it. The dedicated low-mass midrange of the tower provides more midrange detail and the dual woofers in the tower provide deeper bass and more "slam"...

With our RAAL 70-20xram, we typically cross between 1800-2000 Hz, with the S2 tweeter, we typically cross between 2800-3000.
    Thanks! What determines that 200 Hz range in the crossover? Is that just the margin of error, so to speak, or is it determined by some other factor?

Quote Originally Posted by ed_bob View Post
    Thanks! What determines that 200 Hz range in the crossover? Is that just the margin of error, so to speak, or is it determined by some other factor?
    the factor is my memory - you were asking about a custom S2 with the 70-20xram and without finding my notes and crossover schematic, I am unable to provide the precise data.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

the factor is my memory - you were asking about a custom S2 with the 70-20xram and without finding my notes and crossover schematic, I am unable to provide the precise data.
    Haha no worries - that’s close enough for me!