Thread: Thoughts on HT/Music setup

Default Thoughts on HT/Music setup

I am about 50/50 for music/HT.

Below is my inventory so far:
    (2) CBM-170 classic (potential L/R)
    (2) CMT-340 classic (potential L/R)
    (1) CMT-340 center classic - center
    (2) HTM-200 classic - surrounds

I want to run a 5.1 system, with a potential upgrade to 5.1.2. If I go to 5.1.2, I will most likely add in-ceiling speakers or get another pair of HTM-200s to mount on the ceiling. I'm still trying to decide whether I want to use the CBM-170s or the CMT-340s as my mains. I'm leaning towards the 170s because I love the vocals, and the 340s sound a tad muddier.

Below is what I'm considering as additions:
    Rythmik L12 subwoofer
    Yamaha RX-A1060 / RX-A860 / RX-760 Receiver

I think my main question is this: which of the receivers should I purchase? They all seem pretty similar except for the price and power output. Would the 760 or 860 be enough to power my setup?

Any other thoughts on this setup? I want to make sure I don't have a "weak link" per se. In your estimation would these components fit together pretty well?

Thank you thank you thank you for any advice you can give.

Default Re: Thoughts on HT/Music setup

Quick look at the specs and they seem to be with 10 wpc of each other.. so not a big difference in my opinion.
    What's your budget?
    I'd go for one with pre-outs in case you want to add an external amp.

Default Re: Thoughts on HT/Music setup

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Quick look at the specs and they seem to be with 10 wpc of each other.. so not a big difference in my opinion.
    What's your budget?
    I'd go for one with pre-outs in case you want to add an external amp.
    Thanks! I wasn't sure how much a difference 10wpc would make, so that's good to know. My budget is between $400-$700. I just found an A860 (which has pre-outs) on craigslist that I think I'm going to purchase. Hoping for the best...we'll see how it goes. This is a new adventure for me.