Thread: Greetings from Jacksonville, FL

Default Greetings from Jacksonville, FL

On and off this site for the last year trying to unlock my decision paralysis. Have read everything I can find on Ascend and pretty well dialed in on the Towers but like many others wish I could audition them first. Dave has been great thus far in answering my numerous questions and I've finally acquired the necessary funds so I just need to get off the fence. Appreciate the wealth of info to be found here.

Default Re: Greetings from Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by jaxtitleman View Post
    On and off this site for the last year trying to unlock my decision paralysis. Have read everything I can find on Ascend and pretty well dialed in on the Towers but like many others wish I could audition them first. Dave has been great thus far in answering my numerous questions and I've finally acquired the necessary funds so I just need to get off the fence. Appreciate the wealth of info to be found here.
    We are here for you
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by jaxtitleman View Post
    I did the same thing in 2016, read all I could and wished I could audition them before purchasing. I finally decided that the worst case scenario would be that I'd have to return them if I didn't love them and I'd be out shipping costs (which someone said is like renting them for an audition). So I purchased RAAL towers and horizon and love them. Good luck with your decision.

Jack

Welcome and I'm sure you won't go wrong with whatever decision you make. I listened to the full line as am relatively close to San Clemente. Everything sounded amazing and if I didn't have 3 kids in college I would have taken home towers. I ended up with S2s and will never be rid of them. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks for the input guys. While I am 99% sure based on what I've read that they would not be going back I would hate to put Dave and Dina through the aggravation of a return. If I could find someone within a 300 mile radius of Jacksonville that would allow an audition that would be ideal. At the same time I realize I may just have to roll with it an place an order. The only other speaker I have seriously considered is the Salk Song 3 for about the same price but they weigh in at 72 lbs apiece and are quite a bit larger than the Towers. I haven't asked, but think it unlikely they would have a return policy due to size and weight. And although a 3-way they have a totally different design with the single 7" woofer. So I keep finding myself back here. I do have a couple of lingering questions re the RAAL vs NrT and my aging hearing but I will post that on a new thread since this one is mainly for intros. Again, thanks all.

Not to knock the Salks (I'm sure they are good speakers), but the Song 3 uses a RAAL tweeter similar to the one in the Sierra-2, not the higher end and much more expensive RAAL that the Sierra Tower uses.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    Not to knock the Salks (I'm sure they are good speakers), but the Song 3 uses a RAAL tweeter similar to the one in the Sierra-2, not the higher end and much more expensive RAAL that the Sierra Tower uses.
    Thank you for that observation mikesiskav. I was aware of the difference in the tweeters. I think what intrigued me a bit was the use of the 7" Satori woofer. Two 5 1/4" (Towers) or a single 7 1/4" (Salk)? I'm not likely to ever hear both of them so I guess I won't know the difference. Both are rated 33-34 hz. I know I read somewhere that two woofers don't necessarily play lower, just louder (better efficiency?) and perhaps with more control. But since I'm far more concerned about the quality of the mid-range and highs I have to lean toward the Towers. And from what I've read their bass response should be more than adequate for my music. Thanks again for your response.