Thread: Subwoofer distance tweak/3.1

Default Subwoofer distance tweak/3.1

When integrating your sub in a 3.1 system that is about a 60HT/40 music set up, would you align the sub with the mains or the center when it comes to the distance tweak?

After running YPAO it sets my mains and center at 14.xx’ and my sub at 16’ exactly. When I do the distance tweak on the sub with the mains I just have to add .8’ to get the highest peak through an spl meter at the MLP before it begins to drop. I have the sub in the front right corner right next to the right main.

When I do the tweak to align it with the center channel I have to go to 21.xx’ to get the highest reading in an spl meter before it begins to drop.

Both were done with 80hz test tone which is also my crossover point.

Should I be going with the better alignment with the center or the mains? I don’t have REW and both seem to sound great. Maybe ignorance is bliss. . Or I just need to pony up and buy a calibrated umic and go headfirst into the wormhole.

Also, if anyone is curious about the Rythmik F18.....it is awesome. . I wish I had the funds for another one.
    Last edited by diesel79; 04-03-2018 at 05:23 AM.

Default Re: Subwoofer distance tweak/3.1

Theoretically Ypao should have aligned everything. Your front left and right should be aligned with the center. And your subwoofer should be aligned with both. If you have to choose one or the other, I would align the sub with the front left and right.

I think it gets pretty close in my case, but not exact. There was definitely a noticeable difference in output by just adding that .8’ to the distance of the sub.
    Last edited by diesel79; 04-03-2018 at 03:38 PM.

A late observation. Ideally, YPAO would not be looking to achieve the highest output at a single frequency, but the best fit over a range of frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    After running YPAO it sets my mains and center at 14.xx’ and my sub at 16’ exactly. When I do the distance tweak on the sub with the mains I just have to add .8’ to get the highest peak through an spl meter at the MLP before it begins to drop.
    I think you're probably misinterpreting what YPAO is telling you. It's not setting your mains/center/subs at any distance -- it's measuring how far the speakers are from the microphone. It does this by sending its signal and waiting for the sound to arrive at the mic. The time delay between the two events is used to calculate the distance; YPAO is showing you the results of those calculations.

YPAO then figures out how much delay to use for each individual speaker so that the sounds from all the individual speakers arrive at your main listening position at exactly the same time. Said another say, so that the sound at your main listening position is fully in phase.

If you are tweaking your distance settings after you run YPAO, you are invalidating the work that YPAO did. You might want to choose; let YPAO do its thing, or you can do it manually. Trying to out-guess software like YPAO or Audyssey is usually rather frustrating. Just sayin'.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington