Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Room size & Rythmik subs.....

Default Re: Room size & Rythmik subs.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I have a similar question for my new home theater. The Great room is roughly 3400 cu/ft (The vaulted ceiling makes it really "fun" to try calculating), and is open floor plan...
    When people say "open floor plan" that worries me. To calculate the air volume that the subs are working into, you need the volume out to solid floor-to-ceiling walls in all directions. Out to a couch the defines the boundary between the great room and the next room over isn't sufficient. IOW, the air volume your sub(s) have to work into might actually be far greater -- it might be the entire floor of the open floor plan house that the great room is part of.

In general, the bigger the air volume, the more work the subs have to do to produce the same levels. So bigger air volumes imply bigger drivers, or more drivers.

I can guess (and it's only a guess) that a room that size is going to be a challenge for a sub that small. That said, much depends on what you're listening to, and how loudly you want to play it. Also, how low you want to go. For example, if you're really interested in playing a movie like Ready Player One at reference volume (master volume at 0 dB), and you want to feel all the sub-sonics down to, say, 10 Hz, then the entry level LV12R, or even a pair, isn't going to prove satisfactory. Won't play loud enough, or reach deep enough.

If OTOH, you're more interested in playing Mozart's Piano Concerto #23 while you eat dinner (much quieter than the Ready Player One demo, and the lowest note on a modern 88 key piano is 27.5 Hz IIRC, and Mozart's keyboards didn't go that low), then one or a pair of LV12Rs might work out just fine.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

A few pics of the room/house:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

To comment on Bruce's concerns:

I do not usually listen at or near reference level. The system will be mainly for HT with maybe some occasional music as background noise, but not for critical listening.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

You should be fine then. Seems like your room isn't completely open to the kitchen, only half of it is? That should provide extra bass reenforcement than if it was completely open.

Lower bass frequencies (<20 Hz) can only be experienced fully at higher output levels because it takes higher volumes to perceive low bass compared to higher frequencies. At your lower listening levels, a high output sub that can dig well below 20 Hz isn't being used to its full potential anyway.

Thanks to all who provided feedback.

After speaking with Ascend, I decided to order two of the LV12R's, which are actually discontinued to make way for the LV12F.....front ported version. As the official units are a few months off, I picked up the discounted preliminary units they had available. These, I was told, use the components from the "old" LV12R in the new front ported cabinet, where the new LV12F will use new components. Rythmik says there will be only a slight difference in performance.

When I say "Ascend" I am referring to Dina. She's awesome!
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Thanks to all who provided feedback.

After speaking with Ascend, I decided to order two of the LV12R's, which are actually discontinued to make way for the LV12F.....front ported version. As the official units are a few months off, I picked up the discounted preliminary units they had available. These, I was told, use the components from the "old" LV12R in the new front ported cabinet, where the new LV12F will use new components. Rythmik says there will be only a slight difference in performance.

Interesting. Any reason why they're moving to the LV12F with only a "slight difference in performance?"

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    Interesting. Any reason why they're moving to the LV12F with only a "slight difference in performance?"
    My understanding is that customers unanimously requested a front ported design. The component swap may just be due to availability, or unavailability of the old parts.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

+1 for Dina :-)

So, a little update:

Received the dual LV12F's on Thursday. Placed them in their designated, non-scientifically chosen locations to either side of the media console on the front wall. Bass extension set to low. Crossovers for L/C/R & rear surrounds at 80Hz, in-ceiling speakers at 60Hz.

I ran Audyssey XT32 to get everything dialed in. I do not have REW or anything to measure the room, nor do I own a laptop to try it, so I'm only going by my ears.

The overall sound is smooth, clear and balanced. Bass not overpowering but rather controlled. It does not say "Hey, look what I can do", but rather blends in as an extension of the speakers. When watching Avengers: Infinity War on 4K Blu-ray in ATMOS the bass will make the explosions explode, and the big alien machinery will shake the room. I did not detect any strain and it sounded dynamic. I am very pleased with the system! The room is large and open to the kitchen/dining/foyer, etc. so there's a lot of volume to fill, and the dual subs handle it well.
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 09-11-2018 at 05:07 AM.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

I realize that you have your situation already sorted out, but I figured I'd add this for people that are reading this thread in the same predicament....

I have a LARGE theater room. It's 19x39x9, or 6669 CUFT. I have a pair of FV15HPs in there, and let me tell you, it is plenty. When playing music, it sounds beautiful, with a solid foundation of nothing but tight bass.

When watching movies, it's every bit as good as a theater. It gets loud enough that my wife says she can CLEARLY hear it 500' away at the house across the road.

Pic for pic's sake: (subs are about 20' from the front wall)

img_1571.png