Thread: How bad would it really be?

Default How bad would it really be?

3 center channels?

I know it is not ideal for 2 channel stereo music reproduction, but honestly, I usually listen to music in one of the various dsp modes on my Denon X4300 (5.1 set up). Reason I ask is we are trying to reset the living room for the grandkids and speakers that can tip over are not really in the cards. We will have an entertainment unit that is 70" wide and 30" high that is 9-10ft from the couch. Bottom of the OLED is 40", so 10" is what I am working with anyways. The thought of 3 identical speakers is appealing to me, especially if they are wide and low (kid resistant, cuz nothing is kid proof). Most of the time is spent watching TV, Movies, etc and music is secondary. How bad would it really be?

Default Re: How bad would it really be?

I had Sierra 2 LCRs on the same set up for a while and thought it sounded good using either pure direct 2 channel or 5.1 surround with ceiling surrounds. Just place your speakers even with the front of your cabinet with zero toe-in.

Use Museum Putty (Blue Goo)on all 4 corners of your speakers, and after they sit a while, they will be very hard to move.

Sounds like you were using a pair of bookshelf Sierra 2s with a Sierra 2 center, correct? I am talking about using 3 identical center channel speakers - all in horizontal configuration. Kinda like a big, passive soundbar. Any thoughts on how big of a compromise in sound this would be?

Quote Originally Posted by wineguy View Post
    Sounds like you were using a pair of bookshelf Sierra 2s with a Sierra 2 center, correct? I am talking about using 3 identical center channel speakers - all in horizontal configuration. Kinda like a big, passive soundbar. Any thoughts on how big of a compromise in sound this would be?
    We actually have quite a few customers who have done this with both Sierra-2 and Sierra-1's. There is a performance hit, but it is not bad at all -- in fact, it isn't noticeable if you are sitting in the center between the speakers. The performance hit becomes more noticeable the further off-center you are.

We would need to configure the speakers properly for you (rotate tweeters etc.) -- but it is a good solution and we can include full length grilles instead of the standard 3/4 length grilles and the speakers would then look great and symmetrical.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

3 center channels?

I know it is not ideal for 2 channel stereo music reproduction, but honestly, I usually listen to music in one of the various dsp modes on my Denon X4300 (5.1 set up). Reason I ask is we are trying to reset the living room for the grandkids and speakers that can tip over are not really in the cards. We will have an entertainment unit that is 70" wide and 30" high that is 9-10ft from the couch. Bottom of the OLED is 40", so 10" is what I am working with anyways. The thought of 3 identical speakers is appealing to me, especially if they are wide and low (kid resistant, cuz nothing is kid proof). Most of the time is spent watching TV, Movies, etc and music is secondary. How bad would it really be?
    It shouldn't be bad. Will there be some space between the speakers or were you thinking of having them arranged end to end to end?
    Nate

The L & R would be pushed to the edges of the 70” entertainment unit, so yes, there would likely be space between each of the speakers.

The L & R would be pushed to the edges of the 70” entertainment unit, so yes, there would likely be space between each of the speakers.
    It's also a good idea to have the speakers flush with the front of the unit. If they sit back, you'll get unwanted reflections from the surface.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    We would need to configure the speakers properly for you (rotate tweeters etc.) -- but it is a good solution and we can include full length grilles instead of the standard 3/4 length grilles and the speakers would then look great and symmetrical.
    If I wanted to turn the L/R back to upright bookshelves down the road, can I rotate the tweeters myself?

If I wanted to turn the L/R back to upright bookshelves down the road, can I rotate the tweeters myself?
    Yes - very simple task to do yourself.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com