Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for accessories

Default Suggestions for accessories

I am not sure if this is the right forum for my questions. Feel free to redirect me elsewhere.

I am trying to hook up some external speakers to my TV. My questions are: how do I connect those speakers? What other minimal set of accessories/equipment do I need for the current setup to work?

Current/planned setup: The gadgets that I have hooked up with the TV are PS4, Nintendo Switch, may be a Wii, ChromeCast. I don't expect those connections to proliferate in anyway. Whatever music I have is on phones and such and I try to cast it over to the TV. I want to start with 2 speakers (may be Lunas) and a sub and then at some point use the Lunas for surround and get L/R/C speakers (Sierra-2 or Towers).

My confusions are as follows:

- If I get an AVR, it seems to be an overkill for the setup I have. I do not need like 7 HDMIs and tons of other connections. But this seems like the simplest way to go.

- If I get some amp to drive the speakers, then I'm not sure how I get the audio signal to the amp. And I am not sure if I need other stuff like DAC/Preamp and such. Also, switching on the TV and the amp separately seems like an extra step on a daily basis.

- I was looking at some (stereo) integrated amplifiers but they don't seem to have any HDMI stuff. So I am leaning towards ruling them out. Also, if I expand beyond 2 speakers, a stereo amp won't work.

Any suggestions from experts on my confusions and some brand recommendations based on those suggestions? I want to keep the spending to around $500 plus/minus $100.

Any help is much appreciated.

Default Re: Suggestions for accessories

Hello bladerunner.

I understand not wanting equipment that's too complicated for a particular set-up. I decided a few years back to run two-speakers-only, so I sold my AVR and bought a used Harmon Kardon 3490 which is a stereo receiver with a phono input and phono pre-amp. For my Phono, CD and DVD two channel system, this works perfectly vs having 5 amplifiers powering 2 speakers.

If you get an amplifier, you will need a separate pre-amp; No getting around that! If you get an integrated amp (amplifier and pre-amp in one unit), it may lack connections that you might appreciate. All of your current gadgets can be ran through audio equipment that has HDMI connections. Then you can run audio from these units through your Luna's or Sierras. You will enjoy the audio this way more than the TV speakers.

In your case (especially since you envision three speakers up front and surrounds in the future; 5.1 or 7.1) I highly recommend an AVR. The extra HDMI's are passive future flexibilities that may prove useful.

An AVR will be your simplest solution and will benefit all your other equipment by running these units through the AVR. There are many choices and price points.

I'm not an expert on any of this. Others may have better advice but I hope this helps!
    Last edited by rifmon; 03-17-2018 at 04:56 AM. Reason: clarification

I agree, I think a receiver will serve you well. It's not a 'simple' setup but will do everything you need. I've purchased from accessories for less before and would recommend checking out their website. https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ceivers/1.html
    Nate

I agree - I'd go the AVR route.

Accessories for less is a good suggestion. If pre-owned is ok, check out US Audio Mart or Audiogon. If you prefer new, check out BestBuy for something in your price range.

Of the main stream brands, I'd go either Yamaha, Marantz, or Denon.

Thank you all for the suggestion. AVR ist is then. Denon seems to be more reliable than Marantz when purchased from a4less (based on casual browsing of a4less reviews). So I'll go with Denon in my price range.

Quote Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
    Thank you all for the suggestion. AVR ist is then. Denon seems to be more reliable than Marantz when purchased from a4less (based on casual browsing of a4less reviews). So I'll go with Denon in my price range.
    Denon is more reliable than Marantz in what way? Denon's don't break down as much as Marantz?

If that is what reviewers are saying, I find that hard to belive, since the same company is making both brands and doing so using the same components. The only difference is some minor differences in features and the outside look.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Denon is more reliable than Marantz in what way? Denon's don't break down as much as Marantz?

If that is what reviewers are saying, I find that hard to belive, since the same company is making both brands and doing so using the same components. The only difference is some minor differences in features and the outside look.
    I have read about reliability issues more with Marantz than Denon when purchased from a4less which seems to be selling manufacturer-refurbished products. I have seen multiple times that Denon almost looked brand-new though refurbished. I have read no similar comments for Marantz. This data is in no way rigorous by any means; I assumed that Denon's return rate/volume is probably higher than Marantz and probably have a slightly better quals for their refurbished products than Marantz. Just some baseline opinion I came up with to decide between those two brands. I didn't throw Yamaha into the mix to keep it simple.

The reviews also seem to recommend Marantz for music listening and Denon for HT. In fact, I have slight personal preference for Marantz looks, so I was slightly disappointed that my unscientific analysis led me to Denon.

I have read about reliability issues more with Marantz than Denon when purchased from a4less which seems to be selling manufacturer-refurbished products. I have seen multiple times that Denon almost looked brand-new though refurbished. I have read no similar comments for Marantz. This data is in no way rigorous by any means; I assumed that Denon's return rate/volume is probably higher than Marantz and probably have a slightly better quals for their refurbished products than Marantz. Just some baseline opinion I came up with to decide between those two brands. I didn't throw Yamaha into the mix to keep it simple.

The reviews also seem to recommend Marantz for music listening and Denon for HT. In fact, I have slight personal preference for Marantz looks, so I was slightly disappointed that my unscientific analysis led me to Denon.
    Perhaps there is a higher return rate for a Denon over a Marantz, or vice versa. I don't think that there is any way of telling this from more reviews saying that there are reliability issues with Marantz over Denon. If you had Accessories4Less's internal information on how many are returned percentage-wise, you might be able to say, but I don't think that they will give you that data. But, regardless both come with the full manufacturer warranty. If any issues arise they are most likely to do so within the warranty period. Especially if you just fully use and test everything during that time period.

As far as some reviewers saying that Marantz sounds better for music, I wouldn't put any weight into such comments. The receivers are made with the same internals. The differences really do come down to feature-sets, appearance and price. If such receivers did a double blind test, I highly doubt they could pick one over the other.

Great points! You have convinced me to just go with features/looks at my price point.

I was looking at Marantz SR5011 vs Denon X3300W which are both for $499 at a4less.com. I am reconsidering the need for having preamp outs. If I decide I don't need them, I'll go with one of the lower versions.

Great points! You have convinced me to just go with features/looks at my price point.

I was looking at Marantz SR5011 vs Denon X3300W which are both for $499 at a4less.com. I am reconsidering the need for having preamp outs. If I decide I don't need them, I'll go with one of the lower versions.
    Preouts are nice if you have a larger room, listen at louder levels or have inefficient speakers. If you have them, you can try your speakers in your room and see how they sound. If something doesn’t sound right you have the option of adding external amplification to help out. Most people don’t need it though.

To me the more important features in Denon or marantz are the room EQ and the number of speakers. Audyssey is really nice to help fix anomalies related to the room, especially in the bass region, 300 Hz and below. Or if you are interested in Atmos at all. Those are my two main concerns.