Thread: Sierra 1 and Sierra 2 together ?

Default Sierra 1 and Sierra 2 together ?

Does anyone run Sierra 1 and Sierra 2 together as front mains? My receiver allows you to switch from front wide to a second set of front mains. I like this option as I have 5 origianal S1's, LCR and side surrounds. I also have a large pair of homebuilt boxes from yesteryear that are 2 way with a pair of JBL 12" on each side as my second set of mains with the S1's sitting on top of these. With the 4 12" drivers in front it helps balance out having my HSU VTF2-MK3 sub back at my listening position about 10-12 feet back. It sounds good but I would like to work the big boxes out of this system so I have a couple questions. Would running S1 and S2 both for fronts drag down the S2's or adversely affect their imaging etc. As much as I would love a set of RAAL towers with Horizon center as my last set of speakers so to speak, it looks to be out of my spending range. I am thinking of S2 upgrade kits for LCR but just running these from the front I think would leave me still longing for more low end for balance. Do you think adding another sub to the front side would cover this. If I were to go for another sub I would like to try a Rythmik, however those of you running 2 subs always say matching subs is important for best results. Anyone running a Rythmik and another non-matching sub. Sorry there's like 4 different questions in here, but just chime in with whatever feedback you have.
    Thanks

Default Re: Sierra 1 and Sierra 2 together ?

The Sierra 1s and 2s are playing as mains at the same time?

Well not yet, as I don't have S2's yet. I am using homebuilts and S1's as mains now. I just thought there was a possibility that someone may be running or has tried running S1's and S2's as mains at the same time. I thought the S2's RAAL tweeters disperse more narrowly than S1's so IF they were side by side it may interfere with the way they image. If I were to use them together they would be stacked but may be
    bad idea either way with the differences in the tweeters. Currently the S1's sit atop the giant home built units and blend quite well together.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfin View Post
    Well not yet, as I don't have S2's yet. I am using homebuilts and S1's as mains now. I just thought there was a possibility that someone may be running or has tried running S1's and S2's as mains at the same time. I thought the S2's RAAL tweeters disperse more narrowly than S1's so IF they were side by side it may interfere with the way they image. If I were to use them together they would be stacked but may be
    bad idea either way with the differences in the tweeters. Currently the S1's sit atop the giant home built units and blend quite well together.
    I don't ever recommend running two pairs of speakers together as mains. Not even if they are all the same speaker. Two speakers playing the exact same signal are going to dramatically interfere with each other.

Our Sierra-2's have much wider horizontal dispersion than our Sierra-1, but more controlled vertical dispersion.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Ok, thanks Dave for chiming in on that.
    So I am guessing that trying to integrate a sealed servo sub into the system with a ported sub like I already have with the HSU would also be problematic? What about one of the ported Rythmik versions? Still, one servo controlled and one not ?

Quote Originally Posted by bdfin View Post
    Ok, thanks Dave for chiming in on that.
    So I am guessing that trying to integrate a sealed servo sub into the system with a ported sub like I already have with the HSU would also be problematic? What about one of the ported Rythmik versions? Still, one servo controlled and one not ?
    Brian from Rythmik wouldn't recommend this but I have personally had good results mixing different subs in the same system. It all depends on getting the placement right....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Well I'm leaning on trying it anyways. Placement for the second sub is my challenge. I'm looking at the LV12R or the LVX12. My HSU is a 12" dual rear port design, and sits about in the middle of the back wall w/ about 18" of space behind. I actually use it as a table between the only to chairs in the room. The 2nd sub would hopefully go close to the front right corner of the room ( approx. 16x14 ). With sub 2 sitting somewhat in a corner situation would it be better with the dual front ports of the LVX facing into the room or would the LV12R be ok with rear port into a corner.