Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Sierra 2 enough for my room or stay with current cmt340?

Default Re: Is Sierra 2 enough for my room or stay with current cmt340?

Quote Originally Posted by mharris2007 View Post
    LOL. I'll give the S1 NRT a listen too, but to me when I auditioned the towers, what made the towers special was the RAAL. When compared to the NRT it was just so much better to my ears.

Where the sierra 2's are going there's only one 18". I had to custom make the cabinet to fit into one of the white cabinets you can see in the video. Definitely not going to keep up with the 6 18" woofers I have in the dedicated room with the RAAL towers. LOL.
    Matt
    I got your two rooms confused ....thinking the RAAL towers where the music room and 340 for HT. Reread your post and used the linked hence my altering the post...lol.
    Btw....say hello to the missus and good luck at the demo....
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    You will have to report back what you think of the S2’s.

Unfortunately I’m nowhere near Newport Beach. I’m in the frozen tundra of Minnesota. Actually just waiting for the next blizzard to get here in about an hour or so. Lol

If I ever get out there I’d love to swing by and check it out!
    LMAO :-)

You poor guys. That sounds awful. But that's all the more reason to have nice speakers; because you can't go outside!

You're welcomed to swing by anytime. Thanks again for your input on the S2's in a big space.

As long as you have a 4wd truck or something with awd you are good to go. Lol. The really cold spells are what gets tough. Double digit negative temps are no fun. Usually get a week or 2 stretch of that.
    Last edited by diesel79; 03-05-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    I got your two rooms confused ....thinking the RAAL towers where the music room and 340 for HT. Reread your post and used the linked hence my altering the post...lol.
    Btw....say hello to the missus and good luck at the demo....
    CMT are for the family room which I run 5.1 for TV, but I also listen to allot of music in there 2.1. I'm sure the demo should be fun! Dina an Dave are great. THanks for your help.

The Sierra-2 will have better detail and clarity but the 340 has 5db higher sensitivity. So you just need more amplifier power to reach the same output levels with the Sierra-2. Also the driver arrangement (MTM vs MT) may have some difference in the sound. Almost forgot, the maximum output capability for the 340 is higher than the Sierra-2, so that's something to consider if you like to play things really loud. For my listening, the Sierra-2 is plenty loud.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    The Sierra-2 will have better detail and clarity but the 340 has 5db higher sensitivity. So you just need more amplifier power to reach the same output levels with the Sierra-2. Also the driver arrangement (MTM vs MT) may have some difference in the sound. Almost forgot, the maximum output capability for the 340 is higher than the Sierra-2, so that's something to consider if you like to play things really loud. For my listening, the Sierra-2 is plenty loud.
    Appreciate your insight. I talked to Dave and he agrees to just test them at my house and see what happens. That's what I'm going to do, and I'm sure it will turn out great.

Curious as to your thoughts once you hear them, but if you listen at moderate volume I think you might find the S2's will give you plenty of detail without the need for lots of volume.
    With all that brick you may want to consider some room treatment. I really like LA Sound Panels in Burbank. Good folks and great prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    Curious as to your thoughts once you hear them, but if you listen at moderate volume I think you might find the S2's will give you plenty of detail without the need for lots of volume.
    With all that brick you may want to consider some room treatment. I really like LA Sound Panels in Burbank. Good folks and great prices.
    Hi jay,

Well I listened to the s2’s at ascend ab’d to the towers with nrt and I liked the towers more. The midrange sounded less “stressed” if that makes sense. I discussed with my wife about just being done with it, and getting 3 horizons and she started crying because she says they’re big and ugly 😂😂😂😂😂😂. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I got the Sierra 2’s home and ab’d them with the 340’s (turning up the Sierra 2’s a little obviously to compensate for their decreased sensitivity) and they are clearly more transparent than the 340se’s but the 340se’s presented a more “full” “larger” “bigger” sound. So I gained a little but gave up a little it seems. I’m going to rerun ypao on my Yamaha 681 tomorrow. I tried to do it today but it just kept giving me “error 1 no front speaker” but that’s a totally different story 🤯🤯🤬🤬🤬. I’m updating the firmeare now and if that doesn’t fix it, which I’m Assuming it won’t, I’m just gonna reset the whole receiver.

As for room treatments: There’s a 0% chance of that happening in the family room. I told her that it’s happening in the music room whether she likes it or not, but if she cries at the thought of 3 horizons in the fam room, no chance of treating the walls.

I’ll check back in once I get ypao re ran and listen to them a little more.

Matt

There are folks that can do custom panels with artwork that is either stock or things you can send them (ref: family room).

I'm in negotiations for custom panels for our living room. My wife is a photographer, and I'm hoping to send some of her images in and have panels made. Would be a gallery of sorts and make our room sound a whole lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    There are folks that can do custom panels with artwork that is either stock or things you can send them (ref: family room).

I'm in negotiations for custom panels for our living room. My wife is a photographer, and I'm hoping to send some of her images in and have panels made. Would be a gallery of sorts and make our room sound a whole lot better.
    LA sound panels will put a picture on the panel? I may be able to get my wife on board with that if they can throw a picture of my kids on there or something and not have it look janky.