Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Sierra 2 enough for my room or stay with current cmt340?

Default Is Sierra 2 enough for my room or stay with current cmt340?

Hi everyone,

I have cmt340se lcr with 18” subwoofer in my family room that is 32x18x8 which works out to 4600 ft3. I want to upgrade to Sierra 2 but am concerned they may not play loud enough? The room is open to other parts of the house on two sides as well. We sit 12’ away and the L/R speakers are 12’ apart.

Here’s a short video showing my room setup with my wife trying to duck out of the way. Lol.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bU...irkFzZ37WvGrR9

I’m heading to ascend Friday to listen to the cmt340 and Sierra 2 back to back just to ensure the upgrade would be noticeable. Reason I’m sure it will be, is because in my dedicated music room I have Raal towers and horizon Raal and they are incredible. More towers won’t work with my room as you can see. Bookshelf/monitor is all that will work.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1c6...2PnOznNhiHhN3c

I listen to pretty much 100% music. Lots of edm, indie rock and roll, classic rock, oldies, and some
    Pop. HT doesn’t work with a 5 yo and 19 month old. Ha. Plus I love music way more.

Any input appreciated. I have an email into Dave about it, but figured I’d put it out in public to help any others that may have the same question, and maybe Dave will just answer here.

Matt

Default Re: Is Sierra 2 enough for my room or stay with current cmt340?

Since your going to Ascend to listen, that is where you will make the best decision.

What I will advise is to move your 340's out of the corners, also get them to front edge of the counter for the best sound.
    -curtis

I know the Sierra 2’s are going to sound better than the 340’s at ascend but I don’t know how much better in my room or at volume in my room.

I can move them away from the walls but then my listening distance will be farther than they are apart (not equilateral triangle anymore).

Only way to know is to trial them in your room.

If you think they are worth the upgrade cost at Ascend, bring a set home and give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by mharris2007 View Post

I can move them away from the walls but then my listening distance will be farther than they are apart (not equilateral triangle anymore).
    That is just a guideline, not a hard rule.

On top of that, you want to move them forward on the table so there isn't a reflection point caused the table/ledge in front of the speaker.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    Only way to know is to trial them in your room.

If you think they are worth the upgrade cost at Ascend, bring a set home and give them a try.
    I think this is the play and what I will do, just trying to avoid the hassle if someone has used the S2's in a big room and had feedback regarding that.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    That is just a guideline, not a hard rule.

On top of that, you want to move them forward on the table so there isn't a reflection point caused the table/ledge in front of the speaker.
    I will move them forward. Thanks for that. I will also try to move them away from the wall, but the wife won't like a hole being in the countertop where the wire comes through, LOL. Last question, is there a recommended distance they should be away from the wall? Thanks.

Post Re: Is Sierra 2 enough for my room or stay with current cmt340?

Love that cabinet with quad SI 18s... If your planning on going to Ascend why reserve that visit solely for the S2. I'd give the NrT S1 a whirl too. A wee bit more dynamic or sparkle perhaps since its for HT( rather music....cest la vie...lol)....because you got the low end covered.
    Last edited by billy p; 03-05-2018 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Room Application
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by mharris2007 View Post
    I think this is the play and what I will do, just trying to avoid the hassle if someone has used the S2's in a big room and had feedback regarding that.
    Ah, I see. I sit about 11-12’ from my S2’s and they are plenty loud for me. My first level is all open and about 11.5-12,000 ft^3. It’s pretty loud about everywhere in the house. Lol

I’m not sure how they compare to the towers though as I’ve never heard those. I did just get a Horizon w/RAAL that is awesome.

On another note, how about using horizons for mains? Looks like you could use them horizontally or vertically on your shelf.

I’m jealous of your music room. Looks awesome! I can’t even fathom what 4-18’s sounds/feels like.
    Last edited by diesel79; 03-05-2018 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    Love that cabinet with quad SI 18s... If your planning on going to Ascend why reserve that visit solely for the S2. I'd give the NrT S1 a whirl too. A wee bit more dynamic or sparkle perhaps since its for HT( rather music....cest la vie...lol)....because you got the low end covered.
    LOL. I'll give the S1 NRT a listen too, but to me when I auditioned the towers, what made the towers special was the RAAL. When compared to the NRT it was just so much better to my ears.

Where the sierra 2's are going there's only one 18". I had to custom make the cabinet to fit into one of the white cabinets you can see in the video. Definitely not going to keep up with the 6 18" woofers I have in the dedicated room with the RAAL towers. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    Ah, I see. I sit about 11-12’ from my S2’s and they are plenty loud for me. My first level is all open and about 11.5-12,000 ft^3. It’s pretty loud about everywhere in the house. Lol

I’m not sure how they compare to the towers though as I’ve never heard those. I did just get a Horizon w/RAAL that is awesome.

On another note, how about using horizons for mains? Looks like you could use them horizontally or vertically on your shelf.

I’m jealous of your music room. Looks awesome! I can’t even fathom what 4-18’s sounds/feels like.
    Diesel! Yes! That's what I was wondering about, and you've answered it! Glad to hear it works well with your setup, which means I'm sure it will be fine for me too.

The towers with a RAAL sound just like the Towers with the RAAL. I actually broached the subject of using horizontal horizons for my mains in that room, but the wife quickly put the kibosh to that because of "design challenges". LOL. To me, the horizon raal is beautiful, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

Yeah the music room is allot of fun. There's actually 6 18's. Two in the back as well. I have each of the 18's powered off of one channel of an inuke 6000. I had to add 3 dedicated 20 amp circuits for the subwoofers alone. Everyone that comes and has a listen all say the same thing: it's a very unique experience that otherwise can't be had. Ha ha. Where do you live? I'm in Newport Beach. You're welcomed to come by any time for a listen.

Matt

You will have to report back what you think of the S2’s.

Unfortunately I’m nowhere near Newport Beach. I’m in the frozen tundra of Minnesota. Actually just waiting for the next blizzard to get here in about an hour or so. Lol

If I ever get out there I’d love to swing by and check it out!