Thread: Modifying finishes

Default Modifying finishes

On S2 or Luna, what is the final finish for "natural" cabinets? Is it some sort of oil? I'm wondering about the possibility of darkening them with a rub-in or rub-on stain, in case of a change of installation in the future. That would not be easy starting with a lacquer or polyurethane coat, without removing at least the drivers (back is less important). I would not do 'paint'. Thanks.

Default Re: Modifying finishes

I would say it is definitely some sort of poly or poly type product. It’s definitely not raw bamboo with an oil rub. I just st got my natural horizon a few days ago and it it absolutely stunning. My favorite finish. I’m ordering some S2’s today to match it.

Pretty sure I’ve read some comments about the “coloring” of the cabinets. I think they use a dye process as the bamboo will not take stain.
    Last edited by diesel79; 03-05-2018 at 04:49 AM.

Thanks, diesel. My satin expresso S2s appear to be more of a surface spray than a die or stain. Anyone else have info on the natural finish?

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    On S2 or Luna, what is the final finish for "natural" cabinets? Is it some sort of oil? I'm wondering about the possibility of darkening them with a rub-in or rub-on stain, in case of a change of installation in the future. That would not be easy starting with a lacquer or polyurethane coat, without removing at least the drivers (back is less important). I would not do 'paint'. Thanks.
    All of our bamboo cabinets have clear coat on them, you would first have to completely sand off the clear coat. Bamboo does not take stain like an ordinary wood, we use custom formulated dyes.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Perfect. Thanks, Dave. So I'll have to think more carefully about initial finish than I might have, otherwise. I still suspect darkening would be easier to do well than lightening. And, I imagine natural will go better against white walls. It more has wood 'character', too.
    Last edited by jimb; 03-05-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    Perfect. Thanks, Dave. So I'll have to think more carefully about initial finish than I might have, otherwise. I still suspect darkening would be easier to do well than lightening. And, I imagine natural will go better against white walls. It more has wood 'character', too.
    Feel free to give us a call to discuss your needs. We have done many custom finishes for customers...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com