Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luna vs S2 when combined with Rythmik F8

Default Re: Luna vs S2 when combined with Rythmik F8

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    Thanks again, Dave. So one last point (still related to this buy decision): How do you feel about Luna vs S2 for 5.1 surrounds? Please feel free to direct me to another post if this is already addressed.
    For surrounds, I recommend going Luna's over Sierra-2 as the Luna's are more placement friendly and have a bit wider dispersion.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks. As I said, I have now ordered Luna and F8. It certainly seems best to have Luna in my mix of speakers for one of a few uses!

Thumbs up Re: Luna vs S2 when combined with Rythmik F8

To update, I requested delayed shipment to correspond with when I'd be returning from a business trip. Both items arrived when expected and in great condition.

I have had a severe head cold since my return, so my sonic judgement is not great, but the sub seems good. I have absolutely nothing to complain about, but then I don't have anything to compare against. I want it for best possible music performance and best blending with Luna (or Sierra) as well as modest movie duties at moderate volume. It works great so far. I run it from a Denon AVR-X6200W crossed over at 80 Hz. On the sub, I have the XO at 200 Hz, 12 db/oct to keep that circuit out of the way, and use "Low music" extension. It sits about a foot below and to the right of the right side main speaker. Sub delay is set to 0 and distances are set in the Denon.

Luna is less clear. My hearing is off and I have both Sierra 2 and some very high end speakers against which I judge. The Luna, full range, is just not deep enough to be satisfying to me. S2 is only just barely adequate there, and Luna loses that little bit. This is not a dig at Luna - it is SMALL! Size, weight, front porting and backside details give me ways to use it better than S2. Running Luna from the Denon set to SMALL, and adding the F8 does a nice job of compensating at the bottom end. So I'm happy to keep it rather than returning it for another pair of S2 (it was always going to be Luna or another pair of S2). Furthermore, as a future near-field monitor on a desktop, it might be great (over kill of course). Within its range, it really does sound very good: very open and transparent. It is a superior SMALL speaker. Surprisingly, broadband noise sounds higher pitched on the S2 than the Luna. I didn't expect that. The balance is a little different.

So, as hoped, originally, the S2s go to the bedroom, "full range", and Luna takes over at the main TV with the F8.

The End

Traveling has died down for a bit, and I have been living with the Luna + F8 for a while now. I wanted to update that I am regularly impressed with what I hear from the Lunas - more so than I expected. Small differences in seating position make a modest but significant improvement in tonal balance, which is a room effect, so I have to rate the speakers better than my first impressions. If I don't turn them up too much (which I never do in my real usage), they are really impressive. I highly recommend them. They are expensive for their size, and a few people I know who can only have small speakers, and who I think would really enjoy them, might not be able to swing the $. But, I will be "demo'ing" them and recommending them to a couple of those people, anyway.

FWIW, based on some info on the Rythmik website, I set the AVR distance for the F8 at about 3 feet farther away than it is. This is better, but I have not yet really optimized the crossover. Hopefully, I'll get to report on that at a later time, if I can get some additional technical information.

I'll put some comments about the sound and AVR modes in a new post.
    Last edited by jimb; 05-27-2018 at 11:36 AM.