Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decision time for new speaker stands for my Sierra's! (Opinions request)

Default Re: Decision time for new speaker stands for my Sierra's! (Opinions request)

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    I'm slouched on the couch and my eyes are level with the top of the Sierra 1 cabinet. Sting up my eye is above the top. So I thing the additional 4 inches will be plenty high if not maybe an inch too high which I think I can live with with the 1's and probably 2's?
    My wife also cars not about discriminating sound! haha.

I think the stands are on the way to my address. The only thing that'll make me return them is if there are any noticeable QC defects. I've been reading about cosmetic issues which would be a deal breaker for me. We shall see!
    Good luck. I hope that they work out for you.

Default Re: Decision time for new speaker stands for my Sierra's! (Opinions request)

Well I got the stands!

They worked out well and I am very pleased with their appearance. The wire management is superior but it will not allow that particular tube with the wire managemt to be filled with sand. Filling two out of three tubes did not make a lot of sense to me so I improvised a work-around. I used the long plastic bags that protected the tubes during shipping to contain the sand. I taped the end of the bag to the end of the speaker wires and fished the wires and bag together to the top of the tube. I then filled the bag with sand, taped it closed and the tied it above the tape. Then I just pushed it down into the tube. So the tube, designated for the wire management, has a decent amount of sand accompanying the wire. Then I filled the other tubes normally. The tubes no longer “sing” when binged! To extra sand security measures, I put Blue Tac on the bottom tube holes where the screws engage. Thus will act as a seal to prevent the fine sand I poured from leaking out of the bottom holes. I do not expect sand ever leaking out of the bottom onto the pedestal!

All in all they look really good. I really love me the tripple pillar look. My wife likes the stands too which is surprising!

They are very sound-deadened, very attractive and the tweeters are ever so slightly above my ear as I’m sliuched in the couch! When I’m sitting up (as I should), the tweeters are war level. They are pretty stable and it would take a set if wrestling children behind the stands to knock them over (it has happened before a long long time ago! Haha)

I’ll try to post pics. My first attempt in doing so indicated that the file size was too big.

Thought this would be useful to show these stands as an option for the Seirra's.

You can see how I fished the bag with the speaker cable to get sand into that tube. Blue Tac made a good sand-seal for the bottom of all tubes.

Here are the pics! (Not the best but I'm learning!)

Maybe there will be a set of Luna's on these stands!

IMG_0705.png

IMG_0706.png

IMG_0707.png

IMG_0710.png
    Last edited by rifmon; 03-08-2018 at 03:40 AM.

They look great!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks David!

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    Well I got the stands!

... The wire management is superior but it will not allow that particular tube with the wire managemt to be filled with sand. Filling two out of three tubes did not make a lot of sense to me so I improvised a work-around. I used the long plastic bags that protected the tubes during shipping to contain the sand. I taped the end of the bag to the end of the speaker wires and fished the wires and bag together to the top of the tube. I then filled the bag with sand, taped it closed and the tied it above the tape. Then I just pushed it down into the tube. So the tube, designated for the wire management, has a decent amount of sand accompanying the wire. Then I filled the other tubes normally. The tubes no longer “sing” when binged! ...
    Very cool. Thanks for the report on your sandy solution!

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    Very cool. Thanks for the report on your sandy solution!
    You're welcome! The stands are now as dead as a doornail! Always glad to share.

I have S2's and the same stands. I was puzzled about how and whether to put sand in them. Using the bag is an interesting option though I'm still not totally clear on how that worked. I put them together a long time ago so I can't quite remember why it was problematic.

Most importantly, do they sound any different?!