Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decision time for new speaker stands for my Sierra's! (Opinions request)

Default Decision time for new speaker stands for my Sierra's! (Opinions request)

Hello all!

Cutting to the chase here in case you don't want or need to read all my detailed considerations. I am deciding between the following; Pangea Audio LS300 (26" or 30") vs the Sanus Steel Foundations Mark IV (28"). Does anyone have experience with ether or both? Which is the more stable better built product for the Sierra Speakers?

Details
    I am switching from my TP-24's to something slightly taller. I feel my speakers are very secure on the TP-24's but I can see over the tops of my Sierra 1's even when slouched on the couch. I measured the height of the 24's and they are not a true 24 inches, they are more like 22 1/2 inches. This could be due to the spikes into the carpet.

The other reason for my change is ascetics. I bought my 1's used and the TP-24's were part of the deal. I never really liked the "tower" look and there is a slight amount of top corner damage caused by the shipping. I wish to change to metal stands that are higher and make my Sierra's look like bookshelf speakers rather than tower speakers.

My budget is $150.00 so I narrowed down to 2;Pangea Audio LS300 or the Sanus Steel Foundations Mark IV. My wife likes the triple column look of the Pangea. BTW, I plan to get either from AUDIO ADVISOR vs Amazon.

If I go with the Pangea, it'll be the 28 inches. If I go with the Sanus, my choice would be the 26 inches or the 32 inches which might be too high making my Sierra's a tad too unstable. (I noticed that Sanus rates their 26 inches for 35 LB speakers but their 30 inches are rated for 25 lb speakers.) That tells me I'd be better off with the 26 inches but I question, with the spikes into the carpets, will it be only a net height of 24 1/2 inches?

Any opinions will be much appreciated. I will be upgrading to the 2's relatively soon.

Thanks!

Default Re: Decision time for new speaker stands for my Sierra's! (Opinions request)

I have the 26" Sanus stands you referenced. They do a great job. I did not find it necessary to fill them with sand, they are fine out of the box. The wide footprint keeps them very stable.

I guess it comes down to what your significant other likes as well so choose wisely!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Default Re: Decision time for new speaker stands for my Sierra's! (Opinions request)

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    Hello all!

Cutting to the chase here in case you don't want or need to read all my detailed considerations. I am deciding between the following; Pangea Audio LS300 (26" or 30") vs the Sanus Steel Foundations Mark IV (28"). Does anyone have experience with ether or both? Which is the more stable better built product for the Sierra Speakers?

Details
    I am switching from my TP-24's to something slightly taller. I feel my speakers are very secure on the TP-24's but I can see over the tops of my Sierra 1's even when slouched on the couch. I measured the height of the 24's and they are not a true 24 inches, they are more like 22 1/2 inches. This could be due to the spikes into the carpet.

The other reason for my change is ascetics. I bought my 1's used and the TP-24's were part of the deal. I never really liked the "tower" look and there is a slight amount of top corner damage caused by the shipping. I wish to change to metal stands that are higher and make my Sierra's look like bookshelf speakers rather than tower speakers.

My budget is $150.00 so I narrowed down to 2;Pangea Audio LS300 or the Sanus Steel Foundations Mark IV. My wife likes the triple column look of the Pangea. BTW, I plan to get either from AUDIO ADVISOR vs Amazon.

If I go with the Pangea, it'll be the 28 inches. If I go with the Sanus, my choice would be the 26 inches or the 32 inches which might be too high making my Sierra's a tad too unstable. (I noticed that Sanus rates their 26 inches for 35 LB speakers but their 30 inches are rated for 25 lb speakers.) That tells me I'd be better off with the 26 inches but I question, with the spikes into the carpets, will it be only a net height of 24 1/2 inches?

Any opinions will be much appreciated. I will be upgrading to the 2's relatively soon.

Thanks!
    The other adjustment can be to raise the front of the stand so that the speakers are angled up towards your ears. So maybe the Sanus 26" would work that way if the front is raised and the back spikes are lowed most of the way.
    Nate

Thanks for the replies. This afternoon I called Audio Advisor who sells both and asked them about those two models. The person didn’t hesitate to tell me the Pangea was the better of the two. He joked and said he’d be glad to take an extra $50.00 from me for the Sanus. Haha. He told me the three posts on the Pangea make it a very stable stand. My wife liked the astetics af the Pangea more than the Sanus.

I guess since they have a good return policy I may throw the dice on the Pangea.

If I go with them I’ll report back on how I like them or don’t like them.

Good experience talking with Audra Advisor people btw.

Thanks for the replies. This afternoon I called Audio Advisor who sells both and asked them about those two models. The person didn’t hesitate to tell me the Pangea was the better of the two. He joked and said he’d be glad to take an extra $50.00 from me for the Sanus. Haha. He told me the three posts on the Pangea make it a very stable stand. My wife liked the astetics af the Pangea more than the Sanus.

I guess since they have a good return policy I may throw the dice on the Pangea.

That seems like a good move. I didn't realize the Pangea's were cheaper than Sanus. I think you'll like the height as well
    Nate

One person's opinion, but I'm sure both will work equally as well. Go with what you like best.

BTW....I added pads to the front rubber bumpers on the top plate of the stands to give the Sierra-2's a slight backwards tilt. I suppose you could mess with the spikes to get the same effect but I prefer to have the stand level and build off that. Also, I have another pair of stands that have the triangle-tube configuration like the Pangeas.....a pair of old Wood Technology MU-30's: https://www.cnet.com/products/wood-t...s-mu-30-stand/
    I replaced them with the Sanus. They are sturdy, but the footprint is smaller than the Sanus SF-26 and are noticeably less stable. Just an FYI and something to consider.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Yes I saw that the Sanus’ base was larger and I considered that. Despite the smaller footprint of the Pangea all the reviews I read stated how stable the stand is. I opted for the 28” stands so the Sierras should be the right height. The height, the reviews and the price swayed my desicion. I hope I made the right one!

No worries.....enjoy!

My Sanus stands are 26" and they replaced 30" ones in order to get the tweeters at ear level based on my chair's seating height. The way I judge their height is with my eyes: If I can look straight ahead and they are in my line of vision then they are ear level as your eyes & ears are basically in line. Very scientific, I know.....LOL!
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

The seated ear height needs to be emphasized, as it is probably the most important consideration with speakers of narrow vertical dispersion. For me it was 42 inches. For my wife it is probably 32 inches. This is a huge difference. If she cared at all about audio, I would shoot for the center of the tweeter being about 37 inches off of the floor. She doesn’t care, so I didn’t take it into account.

So for me I want about 42 inches to the center of the tweeter. But wait, since I sometimes recline I need to measure that height too and put the center of the tweeter between those two figures. I’m aware that even with trying to keep within plus or minus 10 or 15 degrees vertically, on the Sierra 2 has very little variation from dead center. But keeping closest to dead center minimizes the variation.
    Last edited by N Boros; 03-01-2018 at 04:34 PM.

I'm slouched on the couch and my eyes are level with the top of the Sierra 1 cabinet. Sting up my eye is above the top. So I thing the additional 4 inches will be plenty high if not maybe an inch too high which I think I can live with with the 1's and probably 2's?
    My wife also cars not about discriminating sound! haha.

I think the stands are on the way to my address. The only thing that'll make me return them is if there are any noticeable QC defects. I've been reading about cosmetic issues which would be a deal breaker for me. We shall see!