Thread: Semi-urgent Help needed

Default Dave, Semi-urgent Help needed

It's semi-urgent, because in the grand scheme of life, this isn't an emergency, but I do really want to listen to my speakers, so, in that sense, it's urgent.

Dumb questions below, because I'm new to all this.

I got 170s last week and am dying to listen to them. I am so close to ordering a cheap receiver Onkyo or Pioneer to get me started, but then I started reading reviews, sound going out, returns and various other problems, so I'm getting cold feet. I'm leaning towards being patient and saving up for a better receiver. My wife and I agreed that after all expenses, stocking away savings, etc., pure "blow money" is limited to about $200 a month, so anything I want, takes some time to save up for. BUT, I really want to listen to my speakers.

I tried posting pics of my existing home theater system, but I couldn't upload them. I'm assuming hooking up the speakers directly to my TV black & white audio out's is a bad idea. There TV also has a section called "component (better)" that also has a L/R red/White connection option. But I'm thinking my home theater should be fine? I just don't want to damage anything (speakers or theater),

It a Panasonic that I have had for about 10 years. If any other technical info is needed to answer my question, please ask and I will try and find out.

Few things about it, there is a section called "R / L Aux (TV)" that is red and white, since it has TV in the name, I assume this is not something I would want to use.

I have ordered pre-banana plugged cables, but below is just for a temporary fix, until I get a better receiver.

My strongly suspected way of doing this is the section that is titled "speakers". The plugs in those sections are color coded (to speaker type) pieces of rectangular plastic, with the wires going into them. On the back of the speakers themselves are bare wire connections. The wires are white and then white with a blue stripe, I assume if I unscrew the back of the connectors on the 170's, I can put these through the hole and then tighten it back up?

Is that true?

Should this work?

Which (white wire) and (white wire with blue strip) goes into which 170 connector?

Is there ANYTHING that I need to know or in anyway that could damage the speakers that I am not thinking of?

Bonus question. Is this guy really this dumb...please don't answer that one, answers to the rest are very welcome and appreciated!

Dave, I hope you see this, see posts that follow. Thanks
    Last edited by wnydel; 03-25-2019 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Added to title

Default Re: Semi-urgent Help needed

Quote Originally Posted by wnydel View Post
    It's semi-urgent, because in the grand scheme of life, this isn't an emergency, but I do really want to listen to my speakers, so, in that sense, it's urgent.

Dumb questions below, because I'm new to all this.

I got 170s last week and am dying to listen to them. I am so close to ordering a cheap receiver Onkyo or Pioneer to get me started, but then I started reading reviews, sound going out, returns and various other problems, so I'm getting cold feet. I'm leaning towards being patient and saving up for a better receiver. My wife and I agreed that after all expenses, stocking away savings, etc., pure "blow money" is limited to about $200 a month, so anything I want, takes some time to save up for. BUT, I really want to listen to my speakers.

I tried posting pics of my existing home theater system, but I couldn't upload them. I'm assuming hooking up the speakers directly to my TV black & white audio out's is a bad idea. There TV also has a section called "component (better)" that also has a L/R red/White connection option. But I'm thinking my home theater should be fine? I just don't want to damage anything (speakers or theater),

It a Panasonic that I have had for about 10 years. If any other technical info is needed to answer my question, please ask and I will try and find out.

Few things about it, there is a section called "R / L Aux (TV)" that is red and white, since it has TV in the name, I assume this is not something I would want to use.

I have ordered pre-banana plugged cables, but below is just for a temporary fix, until I get a better receiver.

My strongly suspected way of doing this is the section that is titled "speakers". The plugs in those sections are color coded (to speaker type) pieces of rectangular plastic, with the wires going into them. On the back of the speakers themselves are bare wire connections. The wires are white and then white with a blue stripe, I assume if I unscrew the back of the connectors on the 170's, I can put these through the hole and then tighten it back up?

Is that true?

Should this work?

Which (white wire) and (white wire with blue strip) goes into which 170 connector?

Is there ANYTHING that I need to know or in anyway that could damage the speakers that I am not thinking of?

Bonus question. Is this guy really this dumb...please don't answer that one, answers to the rest are very welcome and appreciated!
    This is what I have, if it helps to answer the question.

https://www.cnet.com/products/panasonic-sc-bt300/specs/

If additional research on my part is correct, it sounds like I can’t connect them. The impedance seems to be the issue, unless I misinterpreted things?

Are you intending to use 2 channel stereo, or surround sound? Stereo receivers/integrated amps are likely cheaper. Look on E Bay, or US Audio Mart for used ones. Sony, Emotiva, NAD, Marantz, and other consumer level units might sound fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    Are you intending to use 2 channel stereo, or surround sound? Stereo receivers/integrated amps are likely cheaper. Look on E Bay, or US Audio Mart for used ones. Sony, Emotiva, NAD, Marantz, and other consumer level units might sound fine.

Thanks!

I was originally going to use two channel, and am going to for the time being, but I’m now ultimately going to slowly piece together a surround system.

It looks like you should be able to disconnect your current left & right fronts, and attach the bare ends to the Ascends. Keep + to + and - to -. I am assuming your current Panasonics speaker terminals are labeled as such. Otherwise, trace the wires back to the Panasonic amp (for lack of better description). I'm not 100% sure, but from the manual it looks like white is + and blue (no mention of blue stripe) is -

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/hometheater/...t200_en_om.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    It looks like you should be able to disconnect your current left & right fronts, and attach the bare ends to the Ascends. Keep + to + and - to -. I am assuming your current Panasonics speaker terminals are labeled as such. Otherwise, trace the wires back to the Panasonic amp (for lack of better description). I'm not 100% sure, but from the manual it looks like white is + and blue (no mention of blue stripe) is -

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/hometheater/...t200_en_om.pdf
    Thanks!

I’ll look at it again, just to confirm, but I’m pretty sure you are correct with the colors.

My only real concern at the moment is the impedance. If I am reading things correctly, the theater is at 3 and the 170s are at 8. I may have this wrong, but I think this is bad?
    Last edited by wnydel; 03-24-2019 at 05:51 PM.

I believe the theater is at 3 output impedance. The speaker are 8 input impedance. As I understand, the output impedance is protection against shorts. Some say the ideal ratio is that the output impedance be a minimum of 10x lower than the input impedance. Since yours is lower, it may have an effect on frequency response per an article I read. Otherwise, probably ok...but you may also want to double check with Dave.

https://www.lifewire.com/output-impedance-3134904

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I believe the theater is at 3 output impedance. The speaker are 8 input impedance. As I understand, the output impedance is protection against shorts. Some say the ideal ratio is that the output impedance be a minimum of 10x lower than the input impedance. Since yours is lower, it may have an effect on frequency response per an article I read. Otherwise, probably ok...but you may also want to double check with Dave.

https://www.lifewire.com/output-impedance-3134904
    Thank you. I was giving myself a crash course in this yesterday, but I didn't want to go by my limited knowledge. I will check with Dave and see what he says. I emailed him several times during the order process, so I'll give him a few days and hope he sees this sooner here. I'm guessing he gets inundated with calls and emails, I don't want to add to his burden, if I can help it.

I added Dave's name to the post title. Probably less intrusive than me emailing him.
    Last edited by wnydel; 03-25-2019 at 04:42 AM.