Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Bigger Ascend Towers

Default Re: Bigger Ascend Towers

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    It's the blending of the sub and speaker.
    My experience is somewhat limited, because I pretty much stopped experimenting when I got the blend I wanted. Because I just wanted to listen and not continue to frick with things.

But what I found was that servo subs are considerably easier to integrate with separates like the Sierra-2s than non-servo subs. I think the reason for that might be in the considerably lower distortion one gets from a servo sub over a non-servo sub. That distortion can come across as coloration, and can put out some interestingly strong harmonics up in the range normally handled by the mid/high speakers, which makes both both the sub and the mid driver sound... distorted.

Interestingly it looks like the benefits of a servo system tail off dramatically with an increase in frequency. Which is probably why I've never seen it used in mid range speakers or higher. Not that it hasn't been done, just that I personally haven't seen it.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Im not getting into the pros and cons of how a subwoofer is designed....I certainly understand and appreciate the benefits of a servo but for music I doubt it really is a factor...those higher distortion harmonics we speak of are usually found within movies and that's potentially where servos have the advantage so to speak. I dont need my mains for a 2.0 to play down to those levels where distortion becomes problematic....and I strongly suspect the types of music you listen to could exacerbate those problems you alluded to and Id be fine with...just saying.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    Im not getting into the pros and cons of how a subwoofer is designed....I certainly understand and appreciate the benefits of a servo but for music I doubt it really is a factor...those higher distortion harmonics we speak of are usually found within movies and that's potentially where servos have the advantage so to speak. I dont need my mains for a 2.0 to play down to those levels where distortion becomes problematic....and I strongly suspect the types of music you listen to could exacerbate those problems you alluded to and Id be fine with...just saying.
    Hi Billy,

The advantage of Direct Servo for music isn't the decrease in distortion, it is with the rather dramatic improvement of transient response - which I feel is a far more important aspect of performance than distortion.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    My Genesis speakers had two 15" self amplified side firing woofers in each speaker which were adjustable for hi pass, lo pass, gain, and phase. I was able to integrate them well.
    Now, I am not suggesting this large for Ascend, but the self amplified concept with adjustments is a way of doing this.

Maybe side firing helps with integration and placement?

Rock on!
    Agreed... There are major advantages going with an active bass system. Side firing / front firing / rear firing makes no difference in the quality of the bass or placement, we are dealing with wavelengths that are typically longer than the room itself - a few inches won't matter. The advantage to side firing is that it allows a much slimmer front baffle.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    Dave.. So going with a bigger cabinet, two 8in bass drivers with maybe a bigger mid and RAAL tweeter wouldn't duplicate the Sierra sound on a larger scale? I have a hard time believing that a lot of other manufactures do this but only their smaller offerings create the best sound. This is what I am gathering from some of the replies.
    We already use a 5 1/4" midrange driver, going with a larger midrange will hurt performance, not improve performance. A larger midrange means a lower crossover point to the tweeter to avoid both beaming issues and cone resonance. We can not cross our tweeters over any lower than we already do - nor should any manufacturer - doing so dramatically increases distortion and significantly lowers power handling.

I have a suspicion as to what type of sound you are looking for, if my suspicion is correct - it really has nothing to do with driver size, more to do with a slower transient response, which creates an overall less light and airy sound. We can do this for you if you want to experiment a bit, by lowering the efficiency of your towers.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Line array!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Line array!!
    Completely different design, and imagine what that would cost with all those RAAL tweeters!! Ha!
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Completely different design, and imagine what that would cost with all those RAAL tweeters!! Ha!
    Oh but the sound!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    We already use a 5 1/4" midrange driver, going with a larger midrange will hurt performance, not improve performance. A larger midrange means a lower crossover point to the tweeter to avoid both beaming issues and cone resonance. We can not cross our tweeters over any lower than we already do - nor should any manufacturer - doing so dramatically increases distortion and significantly lowers power handling.

I have a suspicion as to what type of sound you are looking for, if my suspicion is correct - it really has nothing to do with driver size, more to do with a slower transient response, which creates an overall less light and airy sound. We can do this for you if you want to experiment a bit, by lowering the efficiency of your towers.
    Interesting. And a bit scary if I made any change to my current towers. Let me email you off line to see what it would take.

As far as looking at maybe keeping a sub and tower or maybe one of my many bookshelf speakers, maybe going with a better Rythmik would be an answer and get it blended correctly. I currently own other makes like the LS50, Polk LSim 703 and could play around in that room with a 15in Rythmik.
    Right now I am running my Sierra towers with a few different sub options. An Outlaw Ultra X12, Martin Logan Grotto and an SVS SB12 NSD. I am not happy with any of these subs for music. The Grotto was the best but it has some issues and is old.
    I may just order a Rythmik from Dave before doing anything else and try it before moving to a no sub 2.0 set up.