Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigger Ascend Towers

Default Re: Bigger Ascend Towers

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    ...deeper bass yet retained the same mids and highs performance (or at least close)...
    So you guys are willing to give up quality on mids and highs for your deep bass?

You will get deeper/better bass if you just get quality subwoofers and integrate them properly.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    So you guys are willing to give up quality on mids and highs for your deep bass?

You will get deeper/better bass if you just get quality subwoofers and integrate them properly.
    Curtis. It kind of seems that you are saying any loud speaker above 5.25 in bass driver will sacrifice mids and highs. If that were the case why would any other manufacture make bigger towers in their line up?
    I do have other high quality speakers. For instance I have the KEF LS 50 running with a Rythmik sub. I don't care for it and the detail those have are insane. More detail than the Ascends to a point they can sound to bright. My point. If other manufactures are making bigger towers and they are very good, I think Dave could perfect a bigger tower as well. And I would buy it in a second. I run subs in my HT set up and they are great. I just want a true high end 2.0 system without the trouble of a sub. I do have to play around with the bass sometimes depending on the recordings. Just trying to have both flavors if you will. And having the choice between a regular Ascend tower and a bigger brother would be nice.
    Last edited by ematthews; 02-10-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    Curtis. It kind of seems that you are saying any loud speaker above 5.25 in bass driver will sacrifice mids and highs. If that were the case why would any other manufacture make bigger towers in their line up?
    I do have other high quality speakers. For instance I have the KEF LS 50 running with a Rythmik sub. I don't care for it and the detail those have are insane. More detail than the Ascends to a point they can sound to bright. My point. If other manufactures are making bigger towers and they are very good, I think Dave could perfect a bigger tower as well. And I would buy it in a second. I run subs in my HT set up and they are great. I just want a true high end 2.0 system without the trouble of a sub. I do have to play around with the bass sometimes depending on the recordings. Just trying to have both flavors if you will. And having the choice between a regular Ascend tower and a bigger brother would be nice.
    All I did was quote Dave.

Why would any other manufacturer make bigger towers...because to satisfy those that think bigger is better. There are some big speakers out there from well known manufacturers that are clearly not as good as their smaller offerings. Yes, I do think Dave can make a bigger and great Tower, but like I said, I was just quoting him, and also agreed that there are trade-offs. It seems that information was overlooked by some.

If you need to play around with the bass, it is so much easier to do if you are only dealing with a sub, and not a full range speaker.

I actually think the S2's have more detail than the LS50, but I agree with you that the LS50 seems brighter than the S2.

I guess I am very surprised that people are willing to give up other parts of a speaker to get more bass, when using a subwoofer properly negates the need to do that.
    Last edited by curtis; 02-10-2018 at 10:54 AM.
    -curtis

Fair enough. I didn't see that you were quoting Dave. I'm not a sound engineer nor an expert. I guess I am on the band wagon of bigger is better on speakers too. However, I do know in regards to KEF. The Q100 bookshelf is more balanced and better sounding than it's bigger brother 300. Tested in my own room. I hear the Monitor Audio silver 8 is better sounding than their 10. Heck I hear great things on their 6 too. So maybe I am putting out a lot of wasted air here.
    Last edited by ematthews; 02-10-2018 at 11:03 AM.

If Dave goes down this route, we know that with his processes, he will not release something he isn't happy with.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    4000-5000 would be my budget.. But I would go up to get all the Ascend quality. I'm tired of looking for the RIGHT speaker for me. As I said my current Ascend Towers are damn near perfect and beat out others I have tried.
    Since you said that you can spend around $2800 on the towers with the Raal ribbon tweeter, why not take the extra $1,200 to $2,200 and get a pair of Rythmik subwoofers. Even if you had a larger room and got a pair of either FVX15s or E15HPs, you could stay within that budget and you would get better performance having the flexibility of locating them optimally to reduce the standing waves as much as possible. Furthermore, I would be very surprised if the output capabilities of the “Bigger Towers” would exceed or even match what these Rythmik subs could do. Since you did mention having a smaller room, these would very much be overkill. A pair of F8s, L12s, or F12s would be just fine and come within the budget.
    Last edited by N Boros; 02-10-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Since you already spend around $2800 on the towers with the Raal ribbon tweeter, why not take the extra $1,200 to $2,200 and get a pair of Rythmik subwoofers. If you got a pair of either FVX15s or E15HPs, you could stay within that budget and you would get better performance having the flexibility of locating them optimally to reduce the standing waves as much as possible. Furthermore, I would be very surprised if the output capabilities of the “Bigger Towers” would exceed or even match what these Rythmik subs could do.
    I would be very surprised as well. Doing low bass properly is expensive, And as you
    Said would it even be as good?
    MacMini > Audirvana > Musical Fidelity V Dac II >
    Emotiva XSP-1 > Emotiva XPA-2 > Sierra Tower NRT > Rythmik F12SE > My Ears >

I'm often fascinated by discussion into incorporating a sub or not? Given the right circumstances...I'd take a set of full range towers in a music only set up... capable of playing down into those lower octaves. As close as I come to a seemless transition for music with my sub.... 2.0 would be my preference if only for music!
    Last edited by billy p; 02-10-2018 at 03:16 PM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    I'm often fascinated by discussion into incorporating a sub or not? Given the right circumstances...I'd take a set of full range towers in a music only set up... capable of playing down into those lower octaves. As close as I come to a seemless transition for music with my sub.... 2.0 would be my preference if only for music!
    Billy!! Good to see you!

....would you be willing to give up the imaging, mids, and highs, you have now to go to 2.0?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post

No. not me, I understand what ematthews is looking for and it sounds enticing but If i have to sacrifice
    to have all in one then no.
    MacMini > Audirvana > Musical Fidelity V Dac II >
    Emotiva XSP-1 > Emotiva XPA-2 > Sierra Tower NRT > Rythmik F12SE > My Ears >