Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigger Ascend Towers

Default Bigger Ascend Towers

I own the Sierra RAAL towers and after buying and selling a few other brands have found out you just can't replace the over all sound of the mids and highs of these Ascends. My only wish for a perfect Ascend. Or my perfect floor speaker for that matter... Make a bigger over all Tower with 8 in drivers to dig a little deeper. This way I don't have to run a sub. My room size is 12x14 approx. So bass response is OK with the Towers but I would like more. Any chance Dave could be working on a different Tower for the future, or has he found the perfect size? Just looking for some feedback.
    Thanks

Default Re: Bigger Ascend Towers

Agreed, that would be great.

As much as I love my RAAL Towers, more is better! Gotta pay for a couple of Rythmik subs first though.

Quote Originally Posted by randyrlee2 View Post
    As much as I love my RAAL Towers, more is better! Gotta pay for a couple of Rythmik subs first though.
    I want to run mine without subs. These are for two channel music only system. Right now I have to run a sub with the towers.

Two things to consider....

A wider front baffle to accommodate larger driver causes other issues to deal with.

The best location for the bass source in the room is usually not the same as mids and highs.
    Last edited by curtis; 02-09-2018 at 12:35 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Two things to consider....

A wider front baffle to accommodate larger driver causes other issues to deal with.

The best location for the bass source in the room is usually not the same as mids and highs.
    True
    However Dave has given us a smaller Sierra. Maybe he would have a larger tower in the works too. A big full sounding loudspeaker in the Ascend makeup would be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Yes, exactly this. In the era of software room correction features like Audyssey and Dirac Live, etc. you get pinpoint timing accuracy so that the wavefronts hit your main listening position accurately. No matter where the speakers are. So that you can have the subs where they will work best within the room (and its various modes), and still blend seamlessly with your main stereo speakers.

I'm just sayin' that we are no longer dependent on the cabinetry doing the time alignment of the various drivers, and so aren't dependent on all-in-one towers.

That said, I can see why some people would still want the all-in-one towers. Especially those who object to software correction and room EQ. If there's sufficient market for it, why not?

But I'm a little leary of diluting Dave's time too much. I don't want to slow him down on projects like the Sierra-3. If there is one. Or the Atmos ceiling mount speakers. If any. Sorry Dave, couldn't resist.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Yes, exactly this. In the era of software room correction features like Audyssey and Dirac Live, etc. you get pinpoint timing accuracy so that the wavefronts hit your main listening position accurately. No matter where the speakers are. So that you can have the subs where they will work best within the room (and its various modes), and still blend seamlessly with your main stereo speakers.

I'm just sayin' that we are no longer dependent on the cabinetry doing the time alignment of the various drivers, and so aren't dependent on all-in-one towers.

That said, I can see why some people would still want the all-in-one towers. Especially those who object to software correction and room EQ. If there's sufficient market for it, why not?

But I'm a little leary of diluting Dave's time too much. I don't want to slow him down on projects like the Sierra-3. If there is one. Or the Atmos ceiling mount speakers. If any. Sorry Dave, couldn't resist.
    I have all of that in my HT set up. I have a music only room and currently run it in 2.1 set up with a Parasound P5 Pre and ATI 2000 amp. I like my pure music system and would like to get rid of the sub as well. I would just like my Towers to dig a little deeper since I am a bit of a bass head.

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    True
    However Dave has given us a smaller Sierra. Maybe he would have a larger tower in the works too. A big full sounding loudspeaker in the Ascend makeup would be fantastic.
    Understood, but what are you willing to give up? There are always trade offs.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    I have all of that in my HT set up. I have a music only room and currently run it in 2.1 set up with a Parasound P5 Pre and ATI 2000 amp. I like my pure music system and would like to get rid of the sub as well. I would just like my Towers to dig a little deeper since I am a bit of a bass head.
    Many music recording studios use subs.
    -curtis