Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Bigger Ascend Towers

Default Re: Bigger Ascend Towers

If you eventually decide on a sub ...go for the New Rythmik F18...ha....leave no doubt.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    As far as looking at maybe keeping a sub and tower or maybe one of my many bookshelf speakers, maybe going with a better Rythmik would be an answer and get it blended correctly. I currently own other makes like the LS50, Polk LSim 703 and could play around in that room with a 15in Rythmik.
    Right now I am running my Sierra towers with a few different sub options. An Outlaw Ultra X12, Martin Logan Grotto and an SVS SB12 NSD. I am not happy with any of these subs for music. The Grotto was the best but it has some issues and is old.
    I may just order a Rythmik from Dave before doing anything else and try it before moving to a no sub 2.0 set up.
    Before I got Sierra-1’s, I was using a Hsu sub and it was great with every Ascend combo I had up until that time, I could not make it work to my liking with the Sierra-1. I needed cross them lower than I wanted to if I didn’t want to hear a transition in the bass from the speaker to sub.

Then, before Ascend started selling Rythmiks, I tried one...boom, done deal! I love that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    If you eventually decide on a sub ...go for the New Rythmik F18...ha....leave no doubt.
    I saw pics of a Funk 21...Yow!!
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Before I got Sierra-1’s, I was using a Hsu sub and it was great with every Ascend combo I had up until that time, I could not make it work to my liking with the Sierra-1. I needed cross them lower than I wanted to if I didn’t want to hear a transition in the bass from the speaker to sub.

Then, before Ascend started selling Rythmiks, I tried one...boom, done deal! I love that thing.

I saw pics of a Funk 21...Yow!!
    Naturally Rythmik subs come to mind for intrgration in a music only setup...I'd highly recommend Funk subs too.

I never thought in a million years I'd own a 18" sub.... yea...those in house 21" units are sweet but way to rich for my pockets. As discussed recently...we both have other priorities pending...lol.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Get 2 smaller subs instead of one bigger one imo.

For those running the RAAL Towers and a sub. Do you run the Sierra's on full? I have the Parasound P5 Pre amp so I can do both full and trim them at a point I want. I run full as I feel I get a better more full sound. I know this is wrong but....... I guess there is no wrong and right in audio.
    Also, looking at back on all these years of music for me. I remember getting my first Dolby Pro Logic receiver and loved putting the sound on Hall Effect. So maybe I don't like perfect flat sound and like inaccurate big full sounding echo effects in my music.

For those running the RAAL Towers and a sub. Do you run the Sierra's on full? I have the Parasound P5 Pre amp so I can do both full and trim them at a point I want. I run full as I feel I get a better more full sound. I know this is wrong but....... I guess there is no wrong and right in audio.
    Also, looking at back on all these years of music for me. I remember getting my first Dolby Pro Logic receiver and loved putting the sound on Hall Effect. So maybe I don't like perfect flat sound and like inaccurate big full sounding echo effects in my music.
    IMO, you should always use bass management between the mains and sub(s).

That P5 also has a sub level control on the front panel, so that should help you.
    -curtis

My subs take over, so to speak, on the lower end. So much so that running the towers full range doesn't produce a noticeable difference unless you get right up next to the towers. So running them on small is recommended and probably the way to go. There's just no benefit - just downside in the form of distortion (which I honestly can't hear but whatever).

Now, that all said. I run mine on large / full range for a different reason. I often listen to music quietly (working at home and whatnot), and I find every once and a while my Rythmik subs won't automatically trigger on (signal isn't large enough) or they'll go back to sleep mid song. This annoys me and the sound difference is then really noticeable (obviously). So I run my towers on large and end up in effectively a 2.0 configuration when this happens. I don't notice a degradation in quality, nor "more bass" - either way sounds the same to me. So I do full range for convenience...

Quote Originally Posted by kongar View Post
    My subs take over, so to speak, on the lower end. So much so that running the towers full range doesn't produce a noticeable difference unless you get right up next to the towers. So running them on small is recommended and probably the way to go. There's just no benefit - just downside in the form of distortion (which I honestly can't hear but whatever).

Now, that all said. I run mine on large / full range for a different reason. I often listen to music quietly (working at home and whatnot), and I find every once and a while my Rythmik subs won't automatically trigger on (signal isn't large enough) or they'll go back to sleep mid song. This annoys me and the sound difference is then really noticeable (obviously). So I run my towers on large and end up in effectively a 2.0 configuration when this happens. I don't notice a degradation in quality, nor "more bass" - either way sounds the same to me. So I do full range for convenience...
    What is your subwoofer trim set at on your receiver? If it is set at something like -10 then the signal from the receiver is not strong enough to turn the subwoofer on. If you turn the volume knob lower on the sub and then rerun auto setup or turn the trim up to 0 or higher, that should help the issue.
    Nate

Placing full-range speakers that plumb to 20-something Hz levels SUCKS. It's far far far far easier to place separate subs in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    What is your subwoofer trim set at on your receiver? If it is set at something like -10 then the signal from the receiver is not strong enough to turn the subwoofer on. If you turn the volume knob lower on the sub and then rerun auto setup or turn the trim up to 0 or higher, that should help the issue.
    Ya it’s annoying, my trim isn’t set crazy low or anything - I’m at 0 (which is actually a bit hot according to both audessey and a separate calibrated microphone). But I have to get above -40ish for them to kick on and stay on. Which is fine 95% of the time. But every once and a while, I just want background music and they drop out. It’s not about accelerating my hearing loss EVERY time I turn it on

Maybe I’ll do just that, turn the subs down and turn the trim up even more. Didn’t think of that...