Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: Bigger Ascend Towers

Default Re: Bigger Ascend Towers

From what I have read the bass on the current towers must be pretty good, so I am wondering...why not just a slightly larger driver, but very well designed and implemented ( as is the current 5 1/4" ). Would that not perhaps provide an extra ounce or two of bass while still keeping cabinet profiles a reasonable size and cost to a reasonable number? I ask because I recently had a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 6 (dual 6" drivers ) for 30 day trial and in my room their bass was substantial, well controlled and very musical. But I found the mids and highs lacking so back they went. Of course, I know very little about actual speaker design so I may well be missing something.

I never thought when I started this thread it would get so much feedback. But a few months later and I really wish they had a large RAAL tower with 8in drivers that dug down deep enough so I could get rid of the sub. And keep all the current mid and upper qualities. This is a 2 channel only set up. I use a sub only because I am a bass head. I acknowledge all of the feedback about the benefits of using a sub, but would still love to see a large Ascend tower sitting R and L of my rack.

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    I never thought when I started this thread it would get so much feedback. But a few months later and I really wish they had a large RAAL tower with 8in drivers that dug down deep enough so I could get rid of the sub. And keep all the current mid and upper qualities. This is a 2 channel only set up. I use a sub only because I am a bass head. I acknowledge all of the feedback about the benefits of using a sub, but would still love to see a large Ascend tower sitting R and L of my rack.
    Many mixing/sound engineers use a sub for two-channel.
    -curtis

I recently upgraded to an Oppo 205 shortly after they announced they would cease manufacturing of their consumer electronics.

It's got the top of the line ESS ES9038PRO Sabre Pro DACs. This turned out to be the missing piece of the puzzle for me after I completed upgrading my 5.0 set up last year with the Lunas in the back.

I've got the Towers and Horizon in front with RAALs all around. It sounded great before with analog outs from my previous Oppo 103. However the better DACs in the 205 have made a readily appreciable difference in some key areas- most notably the low end.

A little amazing, and supremely satisfying, to find out just how much untapped untapped potential was in there all along.