Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5.1.4 Atmos System

Default Re: 5.1.4 Atmos System

For Atmos front/rear heights, the Luna's would work pretty good, if they are angled down, because of their narrow vertical dispersion. This means that they wouldn't work well as overhead top front/middle/height speakers. As suggested the HTM 200s would be great for those top speakers, but some are concerned about the aesthetic looks of mounting such a speaker on the ceiling, or burying it in the ceiling.

In the case in-ceiling speakers, you just want to make sure it is a fairly neutral speaker, like Ascend. The two that I myself are considering are Aperion Audio and RBH, but I'll also throw out the SVS prime elevation speakers because their unique form factor might just be what you need. I auditioned the Aperion Verus grand towers and SVS Ultra bookshelves for fronts along with my Sierra 2s, which I decided was the best of the lot to my ears. So I kept the Sierra 2s and sent the others back. The Aperion speakers tended to error on the side of making an artificially large soundstage, while the SVS speakers tended to not make it large enough. But, both were neutral in most other ways and should blend well with the Ascend speakers. Even though I didn't like the SVS or Aperions for fronts, I find no reason that they wouldn't work well in other, less critical positions. In fact, I am using a set of Aperion outdoor speakers temporarily as surrounds right now, until I can save up for Ascends all the way around me. They blend wonderfully and as necessary can place sounds accurately towards and away from the main listening position between the front and surround speakers. The downside of RBH, is that while they are neutral, you would have to get them from a dealer.
    Last edited by N Boros; 02-05-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Funny- I saw mention of the Aperion speakers an AVS forum yesterday and got excited as I am big Aperion fan, as they are right down the street from me. Thank you!

Happy to help. I bet the Aperions will sound great up top with your Ascends all at ear level.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    I really don't crank it, but I find you don't have to to completely feel the music. Others may disagree with that tho! I once demoed a pair of Legacy Classics for someone that cranked them up north of 100dB. Insane loud- not enjoyable at all for me.
    I agree with natetg57 that in this room size, with HT as the priority, you probably want a Rythmik sub with a 15" driver. I would lean towards the ported models. Since it doesn't sound like you like peaks more than 100 dB or so, you might actually be able to get away with a ported 12" Rythmik, but it is starting to get really close with that room size, where you might want to error on the side of the ported 15" Rythmik. The LVX12 and FVX15 are pretty close in price that you might as well just step up the larger one to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Good point about the crossing over for HT- I forgot about that. I'll most likely be doing music in 'pure direct' mode, so no sub, just pure 100% towers!
    Man, if you are going to spend the money on two Rythmik subs, why not take advantage of them when using music. It not only will fill out the bottom two octaves much better than the tower speakers can, but with the subs placed as you indicate in the diagram, you should also be fixing some of the room modes. Room modes are either large peaks or dips in the bass, caused by the dimensions of your room, where a bass wave perfectly fits into the room and then reinforces itself. This causes some places where the bass can be inaudible and other places where it is way too loud. The difference in most rooms can be as large as 30 to 40 dB. The two subs can make the frequency response similar from one seat to the next and then the room EQ can similarly bring down the peaks, making it much closer to accurate than it was before across multiple seats. If you put the receiver in direct mode, then you are usually bypassing Room EQ and turning off your subs, which will likely make the bass much worse, in comparison.
    Last edited by N Boros; 02-05-2018 at 01:46 PM.

well, I did say "most likely" I plan on long testing sessions, like we all love to do