Thread: 5.1.4 Atmos System

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: 5.1.4 Atmos System

For Atmos front/rear heights, the Luna's would work pretty good, if they are angled down, because of their narrow vertical dispersion. This means that they wouldn't work well as overhead top front/middle/height speakers. As suggested the HTM 200s would be great for those top speakers, but some are concerned about the aesthetic looks of mounting such a speaker on the ceiling, or burying it in the ceiling.

In the case in-ceiling speakers, you just want to make sure it is a fairly neutral speaker, like Ascend. The two that I myself are considering are Aperion Audio and RBH, but I'll also throw out the SVS prime elevation speakers because their unique form factor might just be what you need. I auditioned the Aperion Verus grand towers and SVS Ultra bookshelves for fronts along with my Sierra 2s, which I decided was the best of the lot to my ears. So I kept the Sierra 2s and sent the others back. The Aperion speakers tended to error on the side of making an artificially large soundstage, while the SVS speakers tended to not make it large enough. But, both were neutral in most other ways and should blend well with the Ascend speakers. Even though I didn't like the SVS or Aperions for fronts, I find no reason that they wouldn't work well in other, less critical positions. In fact, I am using a set of Aperion outdoor speakers temporarily as surrounds right now, until I can save up for Ascends all the way around me. They blend wonderfully and as necessary can place sounds accurately towards and away from the main listening position between the front and surround speakers. The downside of RBH, is that while they are neutral, you would have to get them from a dealer.
    Last edited by N Boros; 02-05-2018 at 01:19 PM.