Thread: Blown Driver

Default Blown Driver

Very disappointed to find my very lightly used CMT-340 blew a speaker for no apparent reason. :-(

I have really only used these speakers for TV/theater, but I recently had a small amp hooked up (50WPC !!) and was listening to CDs at medium vol when suddenly I noticed a buzzing sound coming from one of the speakers. I couldn't believe it as I have never blown a speaker before EVER, but when I took off the screen and checked, sure enough it was blown.

I think I am just out of warranty so will probably have to eat the cost. I just wonder if this is common with these speakers at just ordinary volume. They were factory seconds - I thought just for cosmetic reasons - but maybe that had something to do with it??

Default Re: Blown Driver

Things like this can and do happen even with great products. Have you reached out to Ascend directly about it?

Quote Originally Posted by starcycle View Post
    Very disappointed to find my very lightly used CMT-340 blew a speaker for no apparent reason. :-(

I have really only used these speakers for TV/theater, but I recently had a small amp hooked up (50WPC !!) and was listening to CDs at medium vol when suddenly I noticed a buzzing sound coming from one of the speakers. I couldn't believe it as I have never blown a speaker before EVER, but when I took off the screen and checked, sure enough it was blown.

I think I am just out of warranty so will probably have to eat the cost. I just wonder if this is common with these speakers at just ordinary volume. They were factory seconds - I thought just for cosmetic reasons - but maybe that had something to do with it??

Sorry to see this but if the surround tore like that, there are really only 2 possible causes - it just doesn't happen on its own, especially considering they are 5+ years old. One possibility is being rather severely overdriven or DC current hitting the woofer, the other is from physical or environmental hazards. Since the speakers are over 5 years old, you can simply order a new woofer from us to replace it - or you might consider sending the woofer back to us so we can determine what happened. Likely not worth the shipping cost to you though...

Keep in mind that lower power amplifiers are generally more damaging to speaker components than higher power ones so that 50 watt amp might be the cause - especially since you heard a buzz, which could mean a DC offset and the speakers have been performing flawlessly for you for 5+ years now...

Also, we don't sell factory seconds -- if you are referring to B-stock, B-stock means cosmetic cabinet defects only and all speaker components (woofers, tweeters etc.) are brand new.

Quick question - you mention you use these for mostly home theater, are you using a subwoofer or running the speakers full range?

Give us a call when you can.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Wow, never seen that happen before on any Ascend speaker. That's very rare.

Hey, at least mice didnt crawl inside your 340's, eat the copper wire thin piss on everything. I thought i had a defective speaker then i saw mouse turds. This speakers are in my basement. So I fixed them and they sound awesome as normal. My man cave speakers with a sub.

musicguy

Any update on what the cause was?

Quote Originally Posted by kyzersoze98 View Post
    Any update on what the cause was?
    I haven't heard from this customer since he posted this.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com