Thread: Sierra 2 - Back they go ...

Default Sierra 2 - Back they go ...

To my dedicated critical listening room. Moved these into my HT setup in the Living Room, thinking my best speakers would make a huge difference in the sound. Used Audyssey twice and have been happy with the sound.
    Maybe my HT volume is sufficiently low that the gap between the S2's and my prior speakers isn't as noticeable as I'd thought it would be. They do sound way better when listening to music through my AVR, but music is maybe 10% of the duty for my HT setup.
    What I do notice (and miss) is the clarity in my listening room. While it's been bugging me since the switch, today was the final straw. I was in near field mode, with Mingus Ah Um spinning and the whole record sounded like I was listening with foam earplugs. Gone was the breathiness in the sax I was used to hearing with the Sierras, revealing both the inhale and exhale of the musicians.
    Music is just too important to leave to a lesser speaker, so as the title says the Sierras will be on the move on Saturday.
    Someday I'll have enough $$ to be an all-Sierra house. Until then, my special place will again be "the music room".

Default Re: Sierra 2 - Back they go ...

What speakers did you have in the living room before? Could it be the room that is the problem?

If you placed different speakers (i.e. Not Sierra-2's) in the exact location as the Sierra-2's and it was like suddenly listening with foam earplugs, all settings being equal, then it is definitely the speakers.
    As for the HT.....makes sense as that is not as revealing to different speakers, especially since they are playing with multiple speakers of a different brand.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    What speakers did you have in the living room before? Could it be the room that is the problem?
    I had some cheap Polk bookies. Room isn't the best, and I need to correct the back wall, as there are most definitely reflection issues. Don't get me wrong, the Sierras are terrific there, but it's just that I value more perfect music over HT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    If you placed different speakers (i.e. Not Sierra-2's) in the exact location as the Sierra-2's and it was like suddenly listening with foam earplugs, all settings being equal, then it is definitely the speakers.
    As for the HT.....makes sense as that is not as revealing to different speakers, especially since they are playing with multiple speakers of a different brand.
    Most definitely the speakers. I may just need to bite the bullet and go with an all-Ascend HT setup, and save my S2's for music. I've been mulling a front of 340's with 170's as surround (5.2). Maybe just need to quit mulling and pull the trigger.

On the other hand, since you said the S2's didn't make a _huge_ difference in the HT room, maybe you've already found the most important move in terms of impact - getting the S2's back in the music room. Not that the 340/170 combo wouldn't still be an improvement...

Quote Originally Posted by Jhnsmj View Post
    Not that the 340/170 combo wouldn't still be an improvement...
    They would be much better than my current set up, and for the times I do listen to music I'm sure will be much better. Not "Sierra 2 Better" but better nonetheless.

I would HAVE to buy a second pair of S2's instead of suffering! Just sell a few cymbals :-)

I'm loving my LCR S2's lately. Esp after switching from Marantz 5009 to an Anthem 720. I was constantly tweaking the settings with the marantz. I barely touch the Anthem and just listen...

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    I would HAVE to buy a second pair of S2's instead of suffering! Just sell a few cymbals :-)

I'm loving my LCR S2's lately. Esp after switching from Marantz 5009 to an Anthem 720. I was constantly tweaking the settings with the marantz. I barely touch the Anthem and just listen...
    I'll eventually get around to an all Sierra HT set up.

I don't have any cymbals to spare. If I sold any, I'd be swatting at air and might pull a muscle or something!