Thread: The .73 rule

Default The .73 rule

Hello. Was looking through the online manual and saw the .73 rule for 2 channel speaker placement. Does this apply to the towers with Raal also ? Thanks

Default Re: The .73 rule

Nobody can help with rough speaker placement guidelines for the towers?

The .73 rule IS a guideline. Not everyone can do it in their rooms, and it doesn't sound the best in every room, but it is starting point.

Do you have a diagram of your room you could share?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by jprod View Post
    Hello. Was looking through the online manual and saw the .73 rule for 2 channel speaker placement. Does this apply to the towers with Raal also ? Thanks
    As Curtis stated, should be a good starting point for the towers, just depends on your listening room dimensions, furniture arrangements, wall\floor coverings and your types of music preferences!

I currently have the S1 NrT's in a 2.1 channel 90sf intimate dedicated music room set up (monitors 6ft apart, 8ft from listening position). Settled on a .75 ratio long before learning of this recommended rule! Obtained great outer and center imaging and tremendous depth and height of soundstage with both the S1 NrT and the S2 2-way monitors! However, the towers with their their wider RAAL dispersion characteristics may or may not respond best to this 4 to 3 ratio. Should be an easy\quick adjustable room set up for you to get the best audio presentation, with optimum toe-in and left\right spacing to maximize your listening position stereo enjoyment!

Good luck,

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    As Curtis stated, should be a good starting point for the towers, just depends on your listening room dimensions, furniture arrangements, wall\floor coverings and your types of music preferences!

I currently have the S1 NrT's in a 2.1 channel 90sf intimate dedicated music room set up (monitors 6ft apart, 8ft from listening position). Settled on a .75 ratio long before learning of this recommended rule! Obtained great outer and center imaging and tremendous depth and height of soundstage with both the S1 NrT and the S2 2-way monitors! However, the towers with their their wider RAAL dispersion characteristics may or may not respond best to this 4 to 3 ratio. Should be an easy\quick adjustable room set up for you to get the best audio presentation, with optimum toe-in and left\right spacing to maximize your listening position stereo enjoyment!

Good luck,

Ted
    Thank you
    I will try to upload a schematic of my room. Its about 14 across and 25 long . Listening position is a little over 9 feet from ear to speaker. On the one corner by the right speaker is a stone gas fireplace positioned diagonally in that corner. When you say the towers may not respond best to that 4:3 ratio , do you mean that they should approximate an equilateral triangle ? ( i.e be more spread out?)

Thank you
    I will try to upload a schematic of my room. Its about 14 across and 25 long . Listening position is a little over 9 feet from ear to speaker. On the one corner by the right speaker is a stone gas fireplace positioned diagonally in that corner. When you say the towers may not respond best to that 4:3 ratio , do you mean that they should approximate an equilateral triangle ? ( i.e be more spread out?)
    Depends on the tower locations (short wall\long wall), distance from the side wall boundaries, room interactions\reflections (fireplace), etc.! My ADS Series II towers (listened to for 30 years) sounded their best on the long wall and spaced an equilateral distance to the listening chair...but that was in That Room! Every situation and room environment will be different...just have to experiment with the placements once you have everything together (speakers, electronics, audio sources, room furniture)!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

As others have stated, this is just a rule of thumb - there is no right or wrong and we encourage experimentation to determine what sounds best to you
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com