Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMT-340 SE Main?

Default CMT-340 SE Main?

Some may remember as I was very much going to buy the Sierra 2's and start a full Ascend HT replacing my Def Techs. Any way I decided to go 4K so i got a 4K BD player and 4K TV. All that means is my budget has shrunk considerably and I am thinking maybe the CMT-340s. How good are these speakers, I really like the look myself? What type of sound do they produce? Someone described them as PSA MT-110's at a better price. Is that accurate? If I only bought 2 to start and ran "phantom", something i have never done nor do i like the idea, is that a good idea? How does that work? Thanks for any help.

Default Re: CMT-340 SE Main?

What Def Techs do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    What Def Techs do you have?
    Sm 65 LCR and SM 55 surrounds.

Is there something in particular you don't like about the Studio Monitors?

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    Is there something in particular you don't like about the Studio Monitors?
    Actually nothing in particular, just kinda obsessed with Ascend acoustics. They do need a bit of gas, I shouldn't say need, but may they sound incredible when given some gas. Maybe the 340's might sound great at lower levels, but I suspect that might be a pipe dream for speakers. Speakers in general just sound good at higher volume levels.

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    Actually nothing in particular, just kinda obsessed with Ascend acoustics. They do need a bit of gas, I shouldn't say need, but may they sound incredible when given some gas. Maybe the 340's might sound great at lower levels, but I suspect that might be a pipe dream for speakers. Speakers in general just sound good at higher volume levels.
    so you say that it is worth it? worth the money? the reason i ask is because i was thinking to get them myself for a little while now. thank you!

Maybe the 340's might sound great at lower levels, but I suspect that might be a pipe dream for speakers. Speakers in general just sound good at higher volume levels.
    Decent speakers basically sound the exact same at all volume levels until thermal / dynamic compression kicks in. It is your own hearing that varies with volume.

It is import that you understand what the Fletcher-Munson curves are (more recently known as equal-loudness contours)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Decent speakers basically sound the exact same at all volume levels until thermal / dynamic compression kicks in. It is your own hearing that varies with volume.

It is import that you understand what the Fletcher-Munson curves are (more recently known as equal-loudness contours)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour
    Yeah you are right. I should have said to the human ear. We just like sound at high volumes but everyone's idea of "higher volume" is different. I like movies at -20 but other like -10 or higher.

Yeah you are right. I should have said to the human ear. We just like sound at high volumes but everyone's idea of "higher volume" is different. I like movies at -20 but other like -10 or higher.
    I am not sure you are fully understanding what the Equal Loudness Contour is... This isn't about personal preference. Human hearing itself varies with volume. We actually "hear" frequencies in the 2-5kHz range as louder than other frequencies even if the actual volume levels for every frequency are the exact same. The lower the volume level, the more that 2-5kHz range stands out to us - thus the more imbalanced something sounds (sounds thin, flat and lifeless)

This is why many receivers' used to have a "loudness" button -- this was meant as compensation at lower volume levels. These days, there are other means of compensation for this -- for example, Audyssey dynamic EQ.

As an experienced critical listener, I understand how we hear so I expect to hear this imbalance at lower volume levels and as such, am able to compensate for it when doing critical listening. In other words, the first step is to understand that the speaker actually performs the same at lower volume levels and at higher volume levels.

With that in mind, speakers that offer high levels of detail typically do sound better at lower volume levels than speakers that aren't as detailed -- as they offer more clarity. Our 340's provide excellent detail
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I am not sure you are fully understanding what the Equal Loudness Contour is... This isn't about personal preference. Human hearing itself varies with volume. We actually "hear" frequencies in the 2-5kHz range as louder than other frequencies even if the actual volume levels for every frequency are the exact same. The lower the volume level, the more that 2-5kHz range stands out to us - thus the more imbalanced something sounds (sounds thin, flat and lifeless)

This is why many receivers' used to have a "loudness" button -- this was meant as compensation at lower volume levels. These days, there are other means of compensation for this -- for example, Audyssey dynamic EQ.

As an experienced critical listener, I understand how we hear so I expect to hear this imbalance at lower volume levels and as such, am able to compensate for it when doing critical listening. In other words, the first step is to understand that the speaker actually performs the same at lower volume levels and at higher volume levels.

With that in mind, speakers that offer high levels of detail typically do sound better at lower volume levels than speakers that aren't as detailed -- as they offer more clarity. Our 340's provide excellent detail
    OK, thanks for the lesson. I'm between the 340's and the DIY Fusion 8's but building a speakers sounds like a bit of a pain. I am sure I can do it, but not quite as easy as opening a box and the speaker is ready to go.