Thread: Sierra Tower with Sierra Horizon or something else $5000 or less

Default Sierra Tower with Sierra Horizon or something else $5000 or less

I posted a similar thread in another community, but since I am strongly considering the sierra towers, and since some people may have experience with the speakers I am interested in, I thought I would post here too. So, I have roughly a $4000 budget for L/R speakers. So far I have narrowed it down to:

1. B&W 702s with HTM71 S2
    2. Revel F208 with C205 or C208 depending on price
    3. Polk Lsim 707 with Lsim 706c
    4. Ascend Sierra Tower with Sierra Horizon, not sure on Raal

For an amp I have an Emotiva XP-A7 and I plan to use the speakers 50/50 for music and movies. As far as music listening I will only use the L/R channel in 2.1 or I may leave the sub off if it sounds better. As for movies, I will use them in 5.1 as I have some basic rear surrounds and a mediocre sub that get the job done for now. My room size is 16x12 with 8" ceilings that is open to the hallway and partially open to another room. So anyways, it would be very helpful to hear your thoughts if you have compared any of the above. Also if any other info is needed let me know. Thanks.

Default Re: Sierra Tower with Sierra Horizon or something else $5000 or less

I say listen to them all. But my biased ears say that the Ascends will sound better than all the other options at that price level.

Thank you for your input. I wish I could hear them all in my designated room, but that isn't feasible. I would have to purchase the Sierra towers to hear them and while I may end up doing that, before I do, I would like to make sure that is the right decision. That's why I was hoping to hear from others who may have compared the same speakers I am interested in. I did get a chance to listen to the B&W 702 S2's along with PSB T-2's and I preferred the PSB's so the B&W's are out. I have listened to the Revel F206's and was impressed, but felt the bottom end was lacking a bit compared to the midrange and highs. I may have a chance to listen to the F208's sometime within the next couple weeks and I feel they will be a better balance of what I am looking for. I was able to listen to the Polk Lsim 705's since they did not have the 707's on display. I was fairly impressed from what I heard of them, but I do have to admit that the setup was not the best. The person showing me them even warned me before hand since they had the receiver running through multiple boards. So that is where I am at right now. Hopefully I can get more input from others on how the Sierra towers compare to the others I am considering.

Quote Originally Posted by trabadoor22 View Post
    Thank you for your input. I wish I could hear them all in my designated room, but that isn't feasible. I would have to purchase the Sierra towers to hear them and while I may end up doing that, before I do, I would like to make sure that is the right decision. That's why I was hoping to hear from others who may have compared the same speakers I am interested in. I did get a chance to listen to the B&W 702 S2's along with PSB T-2's and I preferred the PSB's so the B&W's are out. I have listened to the Revel F206's and was impressed, but felt the bottom end was lacking a bit compared to the midrange and highs. I may have a chance to listen to the F208's sometime within the next couple weeks and I feel they will be a better balance of what I am looking for. I was able to listen to the Polk Lsim 705's since they did not have the 707's on display. I was fairly impressed from what I heard of them, but I do have to admit that the setup was not the best. The person showing me them even warned me before hand since they had the receiver running through multiple boards. So that is where I am at right now. Hopefully I can get more input from others on how the Sierra towers compare to the others I am considering.

Given what you've said so far it seems like you prefer more bass. Have you thought about getting a subwoofer? I believe it's actually cheaper to get a better sub than to say move up in a tower lineup.
    Last edited by Asliang; 01-08-2018 at 10:51 PM.

It may seem like I want more bass based on what I've said, but what I am truly after is balance. For example, I would not call the PSB T-2's bass heavy. I found them to pretty balanced. I have a Velodyne 10" sub for now. Honestly, I only use it for movies. My current speakers, Polk Monitor 70's, have enough bass for me with music. I may end up upgrading to a better sub in the future though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Refer here: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/for...42-Classifieds

Note the statement under the For Sale heading regarding resale of Ascend's products!
    This ++
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    HT Set-up: Anthem MRX-740, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower V2, Luna Duo V2 Center, Luna surrounds, Revel M55XC Heights, Rythmik F12
    Desktop/Gaming Set-up: Pioneer MRX-740 8K, Sierra LX LR, Ascend Luna V2 Center, Cambridge Minx Min 12 heights; Rythmik F12

My apologies for breaking the rules. Didn't even cross my mind that such woul be.

Great company and speakers Dave! Carry on, and all the best in the future. I will post on Audiogon.

Quote Originally Posted by Menosavvy View Post
    My apologies for breaking the rules. Didn't even cross my mind that such woul be.

Great company and speakers Dave! Carry on, and all the best in the future. I will post on Audiogon.
    No harm no foul, just bringing that to your attention so Dave doesn't crack your knuckles with a steel ruler! I'm sure if you check with them via a phone call they would be happy to allow you to post them in the classifieds.......just my guess.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables