Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone running a 3.1 set up?

Default Anyone running a 3.1 set up?

Anyone run a 3.1 set up? Currently running a 2.1 with Sierra 2’s and a JL Audio E112.

I’m slowly working into my 5.2 (or more) system. Eventually looking at going with towers up from so contemplating going with a RAAL Horizon vs another S2. Need to save more if I go the Horizon route.

Or just keep saving and buy it all at once is another option if 3.1 isn’t a good option.

On another note, I never listen to piano music. The past few days I’ve been listening to a piano Christmas music channel on Pandora. Daaaang these S2’s sound nice with piano music!

A 5.2 or 7.2 Sierra RAAL system would be unreal.
    Last edited by diesel79; 12-23-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Default Re: Anyone running a 3.1 set up?

I do. I have the towers and horizon with RAAL in my family area. I keep toeing with the idea to add Lunas to make it a 5.1 but since this is a mostly music system and I run it in 2.1 mode, I dont know if I will ever pull the trigger on Lunas.
    Yep. Piano, strings ( cello, violin, guitar ) all sound very realistic on this system.

I use a psa s1500 in this system which packs a punch for kid's movies with bass when needed. Movies like The Plolar Express, charlie and chocolate factory too have lots of good bass in them.

What mode do you run it in for movies to get center channel routed the correct way? Or is it pretty much a 3 channel stereo type of thing?

Does the Horizon put out sound if you have the receiver in 2 channel stereo?

Dolby mode routes the surround channels too to Left and Right channels which is what we mostly use. Sometimes it is Multi CH IN mode and a few times use Multi channel mode which plays the same sound through all 3 speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    Anyone run a 3.1 set up? Currently running a 2.1 with Sierra 2’s and a JL Audio E112.

I’m slowly working into my 5.2 (or more) system. Eventually looking at going with towers up from so contemplating going with a RAAL Horizon vs another S2. Need to save more if I go the Horizon route.

Or just keep saving and buy it all at once is another option if 3.1 isn’t a good option.

On another note, I never listen to piano music. The past few days I’ve been listening to a piano Christmas music channel on Pandora. Daaaang these S2’s sound nice with piano music!

A 5.2 or 7.2 Sierra RAAL system would be unreal.
    I’d either stick with a Sierra 2 center, if you are happy with them as your mains, or if you want more output capabilities, then move the Sierra 2s into the surround position and get horizon/towers up front. I guess if you wanted to go with the towers up front then, it might make sense to use the horizon temporarily as you are saving up for the towers up front. I don’t see any reason for the output capabilities of the center to exceed the mains.

I’m still undecided on a S2 or Horizon center. Eventually the system will be moved to my basement which will be a large open room with seating around 12-15’ most likely.

The extra efficiency might be nice down there, but then again I could get the S2 center and htm 200 se for surrounds for just over 1k vs approx 4500 for the Horizon and towers.

The S2 option leave more money for subs. I’m 110% satisfied with my S2’s, but I’m always curious about how much “better” the Horizon and towers would be.

Hmmm.
    Last edited by diesel79; 01-22-2018 at 09:21 AM.

If you will need that extra efficiency anywhere, it will be in the main (left/right) speakers. To some extent it would be helpful in the center channel. But, in terms of how movies are mixed there are probably very few examples of soundtracks where very loud noises were mixed only to the center channel and no others. More likely the main speakers will be hit with those and perhaps also the channel speaker. But, if your center channel is okay while the main speakers are past their output capabilities, then that isn't good for the speakers and it is not likely to sound good either.

12-15' is where you might start looking at Horizon's and/or towers for the front three speakers. But, also you have to ask yourself how loud you listen to things. If you never go louder than -20 dB on the volume knob when watching movies, you might still be okay with Sierra 2s, as long as you are crossing over at 80 Hz to a subwoofer. But really, 12-15' is right on the border of where you would start to strongly more capable speakers up front. Maybe, closer to 12' if you don't listen really loud, then Sierra 2s up front. If you are closer to 15' and/or like to listen to things louder, then towers up front.
    Last edited by N Boros; 01-22-2018 at 11:17 AM.

I’m still undecided on a S2 or Horizon center. Eventually the system will be moved to my basement which will be a large open room with seating around 12-15’ most likely.

The extra efficiency might be nice down there, but then again I could get the S2 center and htm 200 se for surrounds for just over 1k vs approx 4500 for the Horizon and towers.

The S2 option leave more money for subs. I’m 110% satisfied with my S2’s, but I’m always curious about how much “better” the Horizon and towers would be.

Hmmm.
    At that listening distance and for mostly home theater, the Horizon is definitely recommended...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks for the input Dave. RAAL Horizon it is. Got one more thing I need to sell and I will be making a phone call to order one. . I’m lucky and I have the perfect space for it in my cabinet.

Thanks for the input Dave. RAAL Horizon it is. Got one more thing I need to sell and I will be making a phone call to order one. . I’m lucky and I have the perfect space for it in my cabinet.
    Just to back up Dave, not that he needs it, I went with the horizon RAAL over the S2 center as well for my setup. The area is in an open kitchen/living area with lots of noise loss, and my previous center just wasn't cutting it. I decided to get the horizon RAAL on Dave's recommendation and couldn't be happier. 90% of movie dialog is through the center, everything else of for ambiance, spacing, and special effects.

Now I just have to figure out how to mount height speakers on 13 foot cement ceilings for atmos effects.
    Last edited by crazycuz2k; 01-30-2018 at 01:18 PM.