Thread: Sierra 2 center horizontal vs vertical

Default Sierra 2 center horizontal vs vertical

I know horizontally placed center speakers are usually frowned up, in my case though unless I replace my projector screen with some AT material, I'd have to place the center S2 horizontally lower in the cabinet, and tilt it up to point towards ear level.

I can't really test this, because I don't own any speakers yet. I was first going to place an order for a pair of S2 for L and R, and later order one for a center.

But it appears when ordering the Sierra 2 for a center channel / horizontal placement it comes with the tweeter rotated 90 degrees, so I will need to make a decision which version to order.

Anyone has had a chance to compare the two versions ?

I think I read a post here that if I understood correctly, it makes it seem like maybe I can rotate the tweeter myself later if needed, so maybe it does not make a difference which version I order. Is that correct ?

Default Re: Sierra 2 center horizontal vs vertical

Quote Originally Posted by dragoncst View Post
    I know horizontally placed center speakers are usually frowned up, in my case though unless I replace my projector screen with some AT material, I'd have to place the center S2 horizontally lower in the cabinet, and tilt it up to point towards ear level.

I can't really test this, because I don't own any speakers yet. I was first going to place an order for a pair of S2 for L and R, and later order one for a center.

But it appears when ordering the Sierra 2 for a center channel / horizontal placement it comes with the tweeter rotated 90 degrees, so I will need to make a decision which version to order.

Anyone has had a chance to compare the two versions ?

I think I read a post here that if I understood correctly, it makes it seem like maybe I can rotate the tweeter myself later if needed, so maybe it does not make a difference which version I order. Is that correct ?
    As long as you can operate a screwdriver carefully without damaging the screws or speaker, then it's very easy to rotate the tweeter 90 degrees. The other difference is that the grill is full length on the speakers sold as a center channel. I have my center channel situated horizontally and it sounds just fine to me. I can't tell a difference with horizontal vs vertical orientation.
    Nate

Default Re: Sierra 2 center horizontal vs vertical

I have 3 S2's for l/c/r with the center lying horizontal with the tweeter rotated. The front stage is seamless, although I have not tried to A/B/X it with a vertical S2 in the center. Zero complaints.