Thread: lack of warmth

Default lack of warmth

ok so let me first say that I love the airy quality of the RAAL tweeter on the Sierra 2's. I had a pair of 1's with NRT that i really liked but then upgraded to 2's based primarily upon the reviews I read online. I instantly fell in love with the light sound of the tweeter on the 2's if that makes sense. I felt that the bass on the 2's was a bit less full than the 1's but that was to be expected. However, I have had the 2's for about a year now and I feel like there is a bit of warmth missing from them (can't describe what i mean by warmth other than "fullness"). I grew up listening to my parents Marantz Stereo 18 receiver and B&W 110's which i thought had tremendous warmth to the setup even when used in a fairly large cathedral type living room. I really love the spine tingling feel the 2's can produce with the right music (mostly listen to classical, jazz, etc) but think there is a fullness that is simply missing. I am in an apartment and cannot run a sub, but don't believe that would solve what i'm missing. Set up is Anthem MRX-300 with room correction, Sony HAP-S1 (mostly hi-res files). Carpeting in approx 40% of the living room which is about 15ft wide by 18 feet deep. Speakers are about 8 inches from the wall on sand filled stands. thoughts? If not an issue with set-up is there another pair of speakers anyone can recommend?
    Last edited by jkwechsler; 12-09-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Default Re: lack of warmth

Can you compare the sound with room correction on and off?

Quote Originally Posted by sharkman View Post
    Can you compare the sound with room correction on and off?
    no difference. the graph produced by anthem room correction shows very limited changes. on/off same sound signature.

I'd try placing them as wide as you can and go for an extreme toe-in so that they intersect about a foot or two in front of your main listening position. the raal's have a very wide horizontal dispersion so it shouldn't effect the high end at all. I think this positioning may help you out minimizing any reflections benefiting the soundstage and imaging. Also make sure that they measure exactly the same and that it matches the distance in the anthem. It helped me out. It would be something like this http://thehighfidelityreport.com/extreme-toe-in/
    Ascend Sierra ELX Towers RAAL | Ascend Sierra ELX Horizon RAAL | Ascend HTM-200SE | Rythmik F15HP | Anthem D2v 3D | Parasound Halo A51 | Schiit Yggdrasil OG | OPPO 105D

Quote Originally Posted by jkwechsler View Post
    no difference. the graph produced by anthem room correction shows very limited changes. on/off same sound signature.
    This is good - this means that the Sierra-2 are producing a very neutral response in your room which is exactly what they are designed for. The Sierra-2 are designed for accuracy, they are not warm speakers - if you want a slight bass boost, try moving them closer to the wall behind them or manually add some boost. You can do this by turning the bass control on the receiver up a few notches or by tweaking room correction.

Ideally, I would recommend using a subwoofer.

B&W 110's followed the classic smile curve sound -- which is boosted bass and boosted highs... The polar opposite of what I would call accurate or neutral.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com