Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Which center? Luna, S2, or Horizon?

Default Re: Which center? Luna, S2, or Horizon?

Please, let's keep the Covid vaccine debate out of this. I only posted what I did because I know many of you were waiting for part 3 and that dang shot made every busted bone in this old body feel like it was on fire. If not for 8 broken bones, I don't think the side effects would have been bad at all, just a sore left arm.

I also want to clarify something, I am really not for or against the vaccine and I respect everyone's opinion on this. In my case, this was a matter of the lesser of two evils, with Delta spreading everywhere around here and with a compromised lung, my Dr's made it very clear I must do everything possible to avoid getting this new variant. One of those Dr's is my sister, and without any question - she has my best health in mind always. With my son going back to college next week (on campus) and my daughter back to high school this week (no more zoom nonsense) - it was best no to wait any longer.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

One thing I wish Amir would do is provide listening impressions before he takes measurements. Not only his, but maybe from a few others as well. Not only with speakers, but everything he measures/reviews.
    -curtis

Dave, thanks for taking the time to write part 3, even amidst your health struggles. It was a fascinating read. At the beginning of my career in electronics I spent four years characterizing power devices for a semiconductor company. I know first hand what it means taking hundreds of measurements and then spending hours (days!) correlating and analyzing a massive amount of data in search of THAT hidden, elusive needle in the haystack.
    Can't wait for part 4!

Wow, I don't think anyone could possibly question the commitment to performance after what has been posted. I'd really like to see a 3D printer fabricating with the wood filament! At some point maybe you can post some pictures of the CNC table, as well as the 3D printer making something with the filament. I used a CNC table to produce sheet metal fittings some time back, it's pretty much standard in the industry now for the larger shops that can afford the tech.

I've got quite a few questions, but need to let you finish the series so I don't ask things that will be covered.

Just to be sure I have the general idea of what you have covered, it's my understanding that more readings were required with altered gating requirements, and newer algorithms were used to interpret the data to more closely approximate 3D soundpower and in room response?

Jay

Dave,

Wishing you a speedy recovery! Just don't leave us in suspense for too long.
    Last edited by Robert; 08-24-2021 at 04:14 AM.

Here's something to think about. Unless you have a big screen tv like 70+inch tv where the mains are spread apart you don't need a center channel. I'll say it again. You don't need a center channel. I have a 4.1 in th my bedroom for my 42 inch tv and it sounds fantastic. No issues with dialogue. I think it's a myth saying the center is the most important speaker. I disagree your mains are your most important speakers and the subwoofer of course. Notice in your AVR you can turn off the center but you can't turn off the mains. Plus, without a center you also free up power in your AVR to your mains and surrounds for more added dynamics. Something to really think about if you have a budget AVR.

Quote Originally Posted by MDinno View Post
    Here's something to think about. Unless you have a big screen tv like 70+inch tv where the mains are spread apart you don't need a center channel. I'll say it again. You don't need a center channel. I have a 4.1 in th my bedroom for my 42 inch tv and it sounds fantastic. No issues with dialogue. I think it's a myth saying the center is the most important speaker. I disagree your mains are your most important speakers and the subwoofer of course. Notice in your AVR you can turn off the center but you can't turn off the mains. Plus, without a center you also free up power in your AVR to your mains and surrounds for more added dynamics. Something to really think about if you have a budget AVR.
    Thought about it and came to the conclusion that this makes no sense.

First, if you push all three channels (LCR) to just your mains, you're putting a greater load on each of hte mains. You don't magically gain headroom in your amplifier, you're just asking the mains to play 3 channels worth of content downmixed into them versus spreading the load over 3 actual speakers (just think of the first law of thermodynamics... conservation of energy). For example, instead of having the LCR play 30% left, 30% right, and 40% center, you're just moving it so that it's 50% left and 50% right... no savings in amplifier power.

Second, now that you've just put more on the left and right mains, each speaker has to play louder than if it were spread amongst three speakers (left, right, and center). Any time you require speakers to play louder, they also play with higher distortion.

∆∆... furthermore...I'd rather have a CC vs. a phantom by using your mains. The few occasions...this happened to me it was noticable...because as good as my mains image...for home theater...there is simply a void in the sound-field.. I'm not willing to forego...unless circumstances prevent the use of a cc.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by djDANNY View Post
    Thought about it and came to the conclusion that this makes no sense.

First, if you push all three channels (LCR) to just your mains, you're putting a greater load on each of hte mains. You don't magically gain headroom in your amplifier, you're just asking the mains to play 3 channels worth of content downmixed into them versus spreading the load over 3 actual speakers (just think of the first law of thermodynamics... conservation of energy). For example, instead of having the LCR play 30% left, 30% right, and 40% center, you're just moving it so that it's 50% left and 50% right... no savings in amplifier power.

Second, now that you've just put more on the left and right mains, each speaker has to play louder than if it were spread amongst three speakers (left, right, and center). Any time you require speakers to play louder, they also play with higher distortion.
    Plenty of people that are into audio have 2.1 or 4.1 setups. There's professional installers that recommend it for smaller tv's also. That's a fact whether you agree with it or not. There's no issue especially if you aren't into playing loud.

If you can do a center channel, it is never the wrong thing to do.
    -curtis