Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Which center? Luna, S2, or Horizon?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Which center? Luna, S2, or Horizon?

You've probably covered this before, but could you explain the difference between the Sierra 2EX and Duo V2 and their change in ordered preference between the two scenarios (sub or no sub)?

Dave,

Well, that was certainly a tour de force!

As a long-time and repeated Ascend customer I cannot tell you how gratifying it was to get that much detail on your process. I cannot imagine anyone else is that dedicated to both having the best possible measurement setup and being so transparent in providing their customers with the gory (but fascinating) details of the process. The fact that all of this got started because of a single negative review, well, that's just a testament to how seriously committed you are to what you do.

And through broken ribs, yikes. I broke a rib (and cracked a couple more) in graduate school. Your description is apt—at first, just breathing hurts. It's really no fun at all and takes a long time to recover—and that was when I was like 24 years old. I'm sure at my (and your) age it's an even longer and more challenging recovery. I'm amazed you were able to get through all that despite your health issues. We (your customers) are incredibly fortunate.

Also, I'm super-impressed with the V2 graphs! Those horizontal dispersion plots are just amazing, looks like even wider dispersion than the 2EX. Makes me just a tiny bit curious if there will be a new crossover for the 2EX coming as well.

And, of course, as someone who has upgraded multiple sets of S1 cabinets over the years and now owns three Duos (LCR), whenever you have the upgrade kits available, please let me know—that's an insta-buy from me. I'm curious about what they'll be; crossovers and some foam, yes?

Anyway, thanks, Dave. Super impressive.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
    You've probably covered this before, but could you explain the difference between the Sierra 2EX and Duo V2 and their change in ordered preference between the two scenarios (sub or no sub)?
    The center channel handles the majority of special effects, not just dialogue. Bass is critically important for a home theater system so if no sub is being used, the Sierra-2EX for the center is the better choice since it has significantly deeper bass extension and punch.

Hope this clarifies.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Your post made me laugh... Somewhere / somehow your original question was forgotten, sorry about that.

Here is my recommendation in order of priority

Assuming you are a subwoofer:

1. Horizon
    2. Sierra-2EX if can be positioned vertically
    3. Duo V2 center
    4. Sierra-2EX positioned horizontally.

If no subwoofer:

1. Horizon
    2. Sierra-2EX positioned vertically
    3. Sierra-2EX positioned horizontally
    4. Duo V2 center

Hope this helps!
    Dave, what about the Sierra 1 center in the same position you put the 2EX?

If you're really concerned about the center dispersion and intelligibility, and I think that you should be, then I would go with the Horizon. You then avoid the lobing issues that a MTM 2-way center inherently has.

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Hey Dave, hope all is well.

Any idea of when you plan to release Klippel test results of your flagship RAAL towers?
    Very interested in this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Your post made me laugh... Somewhere / somehow your original question was forgotten, sorry about that.

Here is my recommendation in order of priority

Assuming you are a subwoofer:

1. Horizon
    2. Sierra-2EX if can be positioned vertically
    3. Duo V2 center
    4. Sierra-2EX positioned horizontally.

If no subwoofer:

1. Horizon
    2. Sierra-2EX positioned vertically
    3. Sierra-2EX positioned horizontally
    4. Duo V2 center

Hope this helps!
    What if you have a sub and have an option for vertical placement for the duo V2? How would it compare to a vertical 2ex?

Quote Originally Posted by msound View Post
    What if you have a sub and have an option for vertical placement for the duo V2? How would it compare to a vertical 2ex?
    In this scenario, it would be best to go with whatever your left/right speaker are. If Sierra-2EX, go with vertical Sierra-2EX center. If Duo left/right, go with Duo vertical center.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

wow that was quite the read, and i am very happy that the luna's can be upgraded! as a happy owner of the lunas and horizon (and future owner of the towers when i'm able to return to the US), do you think it's possible or likely that you might make tweaks to the horizon or towers with the results from the NSF?

This is the most epic revival of an old thread that I've ever seen! Amazing 5 part story.

As for me, about a year and a half ago, I ended up going with a Duo for my center. It pairs beautifully with 2EXs. That said, v2 certainly sounds intriguing.

Thank you so much Dave, for continuing to offer upgrades for existing customers. Your transparency and commitment to constant improvement is really impressive.