Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Which center? Luna, S2, or Horizon?

Default Re: Which center? Luna, S2, or Horizon?

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    UPS did the same thing to me when I got my Towers...box 2 showed up the day after box 1
    The UPS folks are just looking out for you. Clearly they’re just audio nerds who think the only way to properly evaluate a new speaker is one at a time in mono mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Hey SunByrne!

Honestly, you've almost read my mind with your post. We totally could be friends! :-)
    I was cranky when I wrote it and I didn't express myself all that well, glad someone got something out of it.

If you're serious about your speaker test measurements, lean heavily towards movies, and OCD about having a soundstage/driver design that matches the towers exactly, swing for the Horizon center.
    That's the ultimate plan, but it means getting rid of my current stand, in which case I might as well get a new TV, and that ends up being both expensive and a big project. Wasn't in the cards for this time around, but at some point, yep, I'll probably go that way. Not sure what I'll do with the orphaned Duo center, though.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

I'd love to ultimately move to the Horizon, as well, but size-wise a challenge unless I were to also get a new TV riser or perhaps just put the TV directly on top of the Horizon. Has anyone done this? Any issues (eg speaker vibration impacting tv electronics)?

No problem, SunByrne! It’s fine to be cranky from time to time.....It’s 2020, who isn’t these days?

My endgame center channel preference would also be to go with the W(T/M)W setup like the Horizon.

Looks like UPS is back on schedule for Thursday for both, but we’ll see! Maybe I’ll try a Sierra 2 EX on one side and a Tower on the other for a day! I’ll be sure to share a photo once they arrive and are “settled in”. My setup isn’t anything fancy.

Any update on this Dave?

Quote Originally Posted by msound View Post
    Any update on this Dave?
    I will post my findings once things slow down over here (lots to share). We have been working 12 hour days for the past 2 months. Holiday season typically starts to slow down for us towards the end of January.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Is there a significant difference in measurement when using the 2EX as a center (horizontally with tweeter rotated)? I'm trying to make it work vertically, but my cabinet is making it difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Spamilton View Post
    Is there a significant difference in measurement when using the 2EX as a center (horizontally with tweeter rotated)? I'm trying to make it work vertically, but my cabinet is making it difficult.
    I think it measures pretty much the same if your sitting directly in front of it. (horizontal position) It measures a little worse in the horizontal position if you're sitting off axis. I have mine horizontally placed in my system and it sounds good to me.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Spamilton View Post
    I’m interested this as well as I currently have my S2 center in horizontal configuration. Since the crossover was not changed, I’m assuming there has to be some difference in how the tweeter and woofer sum at the crossover point since the RAAL has such different vertical dispersion vs horizontal dispersion and the two orientations (center vs bookshelf) directly changes this. Given that dialog is smack in the crossover range, I’d like to see measurements as well to see if it’s worthwhile for me to try to get a bookshelf orientation to work.

Quote Originally Posted by djDANNY View Post
    I’m assuming there has to be some difference in how the tweeter and woofer sum at the crossover point since the RAAL has such different vertical dispersion vs horizontal dispersion and the two orientations (center vs bookshelf) directly changes this. Given that dialog is smack in the crossover range, I’d like to see measurements as well to see if it’s worthwhile for me to try to get a bookshelf orientation to work.
    Crossover summation, how the woofer and tweeter "blend" with each other is not related to positioning a speaker vertically or horizontally. What changes is off-axis dispersion at more directional frequencies. Sitting on axis of the speaker, there is no difference in the direct sound response of the speaker, be that vertically positioned or horizontally positioned.

You can see the vertical response of the Sierra-2EX in the measurements on our site. Of course, in these measurements the tweeter is not rotated 90 degrees. If the tweeter was rotated (as it needs to be for horizontal placement) the high frequency roll off you see starting at about 13 kHz wouldn't be there. You can also see that 5 degrees off vertically is nearly identical to 0 degrees off horizontally. On-axis, 0 degrees vertical would be identical to 0 degrees horizontal.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com