Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Which center? Luna, S2, or Horizon?

Default Re: Which center? Luna, S2, or Horizon?

Quote Originally Posted by MDinno View Post
    Sorry Dave I need to respond real quick because I'm going to bury him once and for all. Click on the link and tell me what the recommendation says here for the KEF LS50. No recommendation?? Oh, I happen to notice the SVS Ultra is no good the Elac Debut is no good. The whole KEF line basically. BTW, All my speakers have a sub 85 sensitivit and they sound fantastic! Love THE BASS they produce. Obviously you don't know anything about sensitivity and the compromises from going from high to low. Go click on that link.You have now lost ALL credibility along with your Amir.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...eakerTestData/
    If "burying" me means failing to refute any of the actual points that I've made to you, kindly provided with evidence, then yes I'm 6 feet under.. Hyper focusing on whether or not Amir personally liked a speaker isn't the important part of this discussion. The validity of the data is what's important. You know that! I've tried and failed to convince you of the importance of the science. So, per Dave's request and the sting of my own failures, I will not be responding to you further. You win! Gold star for you!
    Last edited by Shazb0t; 11-06-2020 at 05:58 AM.

Dave, giving this some thought I am wondering if replacing the slot port with 2 conventional round ports in the lower corners would work? Or even 2 triangular shaped ports like I've seen before:

Hope that makes sense!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Dave, giving this some thought I am wondering if replacing the slot port with 2 conventional round ports in the lower corners would work? Or even 2 triangular shaped ports like I've seen before:

Hope that makes sense!
    Honestly I'd love to just see a Luna without the port if that's the cause of the issues. Seems like everyone knows speakers this small can't do accurate low bass, so is it worth trying?

I'm quite happy with them as LCRs with a sub, so maybe sell them on the amazing soundstage and directivity that comes with driver size and selection (stuff I learned from the ASR review)

Quote Originally Posted by pgd View Post
    Honestly I'd love to just see a Luna without the port if that's the cause of the issues. Seems like everyone knows speakers this small can't do accurate low bass, so is it worth trying?

I'm quite happy with them as LCRs with a sub, so maybe sell them on the amazing soundstage and directivity that comes with driver size and selection (stuff I learned from the ASR review)
    I think a sealed Luna optimized for use as a surround would be a great idea!

Thanks Dave. I appreciate the measured response, and I apologize that I got a little snotty. I'll send them to you guys as soon as I receive them back and let you know when they're on their way.
    Excellent - please reach out to me when you have them back and I will send you shipping labels.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Luna's were specifically designed for that remarkable horizontal directivity they showed. The port is 100% what is causing the issue with your speakers, these are extremely high quality components and the crossover is correct (otherwise this would have showed up in the horizontal directivity).

Quote Originally Posted by Shazb0t View Post
    I think a sealed Luna optimized for use as a surround would be a great idea!
    Port resonance issue will be resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post

Hope that makes sense!
    Makes sense, however the proper port tune requires a port that is considerably longer than the length of the cabinet, or a single port that would be extremely narrow. This would cause far more problems than port resonance, as there would be considerable air-turbulence and this would be extremely audible. The port resonance in these speakers as measured by Amir is really centered at 600Hz and is very high Q, meaning it is extremely narrow. We generally "hear" at 1/3rd octave smoothing, others argue 1/6th octave smoothing. Thus it is questionable if this resonance is actually audible as the bandwidth is extremely narrow. With 1/3 octave or even 1/6th octave smoothing, it smooths out considerably. The other spikes are all multiples of that initial port resonance. If you examine the individual woofer and tweeter response, they both look good.

There is a process to this and we are already deep into it (I enjoy engineering challenges, sure beats running day to day business and dealing with forums). However, the most important step in this is to get back the speakers that were measured, calibrate my lab test gear - and make damn sure I am able to replicate what Amir measured with the NFS. Our lab gear and production line test gear is highly accurate, in fact - it is the same equipment that was used at Harman for decades (I was trained on it by ex-Harman engineers) so we should be able to, but this I won't know until we have those speakers back. Maybe we need to invest in the Klippel NFS system?

I have a few suspicions, and one may be that I am just asking too much from our domestic cabinet manufacturer with regards to keeping absurdly tight tolerances with no room for glue drips or tolerance drift in the overly complex port design. That is really of no fault of theirs, they are one of the best in the business and build for some very well known super high end companies.

However, the first major step is getting those speakers back...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

OK, time to wade in on two different topics, ASR and the Duos.

First, on ASR
    I have confidence that ASR's measurements are correct; I'm sure he knows how to operate his Klippel and the other equipment he uses to measure things besides speakers. If all he did were take measurements and publish them, that would be fine.

But that's not all he does. He adds interpretation to the raw data, and subjective reviews. He does both of these things very badly. On the first point, nobody who takes their own data seriously should ever say anything like "where do you draw the regression line?" A regression line shouldn't be drawn by anything other than THE EQUATION FOR A REGRESSION LINE, which is well-understood math. This kind of thing is nonsense and nobody who claims to be in interested in the science should put up with it. If I did this kind of thing with my own research, reviewers would (rightly) crucify my papers. It's bush-league garbage. Toole, for instance, would never say anything like this.

As for his subjective reviews, I don't know how anyone takes those seriously. He writes like he thinks his own opinion is a gift from the gods, and it's just so off-putting. They are also so obviously Harman-biased that they are basically worthless, as every objective sin for any Harman product is subjectively forgivable but for many a Harman competitor every wiggle in any graph is the death knell. He needs to do his subjective review before he collects the data in order to not be biased by the results and his own interpretation of those results. This is basic behavioral science methodology and he's just so damn cavalier about ignoring it. He apparently thinks that because he includes the "I work for Harman" disclaimer that people will give him a pass on this or something. I mean, I guess it is actually working for him but I can't read it or take it seriously.

Now, having said that, the objective measurements on the Duo are... not very pretty, are they?

Luna Duos
    I just got a set of these (LCR) and have had them for a little over a month. As Dave well knows, I'm a long-time very happy Ascend customer. I usually post my reviews/impressions pretty soon after I get anything new from Ascend, and I have not done so for the Duos. (If Dave hadn't been so busy, it wouldn't surprise me if he has been wondering when I'd post about them.) I haven't because [1] I've been crazy busy myself, and [2] my impression of them is somewhat mixed, and I've not been sure what to say about them.

It was interesting to see the measurements, as they kind of support some of my experiences with the Duos.

First, the Duos do indeed have tremendous wide dispersion—it's fantastic. The sweet spot is generously wide, such that two people can be sitting on the couch in my living room and both get decent imaging out of the deal. Just not at all true with my previous speakers, which were not bad speakers at all (older PSBs). Real rooms often make ideal placement impossible, and anything that gives you leverage on this problem is not to be underestimated.

Second, vertical directivity is indeed pretty tight. The good news is I'm pretty much always on the couch when I listen and I was careful with mounting height so this is not a problem, per se, but it's pretty obvious when you stand up that something is missing. I expected this and it's no big deal.

Third, there's something not quite right about the mids. Maybe that's too harsh. What I mean is that it's not as good as I expected from Ascend. When I first set them up and ran Audyssey, it said the LRs could handle being crossed over at 60Hz and the center could cross over at 40Hz. While that's impressive, I know Audyssey is sometimes overgenerous about that and I set the center to 60Hz as well. And they overall sounded mostly OK, certainly for normal HT use, but for music, well, there's something kind of choppy going on in the midrange. Not bad—nothing like what ASR describes subjectively—but something just not quite smooth in the Ascend way I'm used to. Noticed it mostly in female vocals, which sound a little... I guess the best word is uneven. I actually considered sending them back, but there are other practical reasons for the choice, and given those constraints I have few other viable options anyway. (PSB PWM1s are pretty much the only reasonable alternative at a similar price point and then there will be timbre-match issues with the surrounds. Too much hassle.)

But after listening to some music (the Duos are used mostly for HT anyway) I had the bright idea to change the crossover to 80Hz. They sound much better. They still don't sound as good as my 2EXs—not a giant criticism, I've never heard anything two-way that sounded appreciably better—or even base S2s, but it evened things out to where I'm much happier with them. I'll admit I'm suspicious that this is just in my head, since my understanding is that a lot of the issue with port noise for front-ported speakers isn't really from air moving through because of low frequencies, but reflections of midrange from inside the speaker, and setting the crossover higher shouldn't really change that. Sure seems like it does, though.

It's funny because I've never heard a speaker with a front slot-style port that I've really liked. I figured when Dave went there after all these years of not using them, well, he'd finally cracked it. Maybe still a little work to be done. (Since I'm crossing over at 80Hz, maybe some kind of port plug?)

So, for primarily HT use (with sub) at my seating distance (about nine feet), I'm fine with them. I'm not overwhelmed like I usually am with Ascend, but given my constraints, they get the job done and it's a marked improvement over what I had before.

Anyway, I'm glad to see Dave's response to all this is "we need to look into this and possibly fix something," but that's what I'd expect from Dave.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I enjoy engineering challenges, sure beats running day to day business and dealing with forums
    Hey hey hey! We aren't THAT bad!

I looked at the cost of that NFS machine and it is quite steep (100k euros, am I looking at the right unit?), maybe you could send speakers off to get measured by them rather than own one. Or maybe you buy it and offer that service for others and pay for it by renting out time with it/performing measurements for people. I'm sure the thought of starting that now makes your head spin with everything going on, sorry for being an armchair board member . I own some expensive machines and the key to making them worthwhile it keeping them busy ime.

*edit* now I see prices much lower, must have been looking at the wrong unit
    Last edited by anjunadeep; 11-10-2020 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    OK, time to wade in on two different topics, ASR and the Duos.

First, on ASR
    I have confidence that ASR's measurements are correct; I'm sure he knows how to operate his Klippel and the other equipment he uses to measure things besides speakers. If all he did were take measurements and publish them, that would be fine.

So, for primarily HT use (with sub) at my seating distance (about nine feet), I'm fine with them. I'm not overwhelmed like I usually am with Ascend, but given my constraints, they get the job done and it's a marked improvement over what I had before.

Anyway, I'm glad to see Dave's response to all this is "we need to look into this and possibly fix something," but that's what I'd expect from Dave.
    Hey SunByrne!

Honestly, you've almost read my mind with your post. We totally could be friends! :-)

It drives me nuts when someone says..."His measurements are great, just ignore his commentary and opinions." It's sort of like going to a restaurant where the service is atrocious, but the food is great. I'll probably stop in from time to time, but that doesn't mean I'll have an enjoyable experience. Why can't I have both great service and food? I'll totally visit more if that were the case! Otherwise, there's nothing more that I can add that hasn't already been said, so I digress.....

I was an early adopter for the Luna Duo and haven't really had much time to really put it through its paces up until a few months ago. Since then, I've bumped up the crossover to 90Hz per what ARC on my Anthem recommended and found it to sound cleaner. Overall, it offers great dispersion and I can sit off axis and still have clear dialog. There were a few times early on where vocals sounded off, but that may have been due to the mixing/content as that often varies. Overall, I'd agree, I'm not blown away by it by any means. Since "going live" with my first Ascend HT setup in January of 2020, here are my final opinions after the "honeymoon" period expired:

Sierra 2 EX (Main L/R): Wow! Outstanding speakers and definitely worth buying! I love music through these speakers and the mid-bass performance is phenomenal. Overall, highly recommended.

Luna Duo Center: Great dispersion and overall good dialog clarity. I managed to adjust my HT setup and could now actually fit a Horizon center now. I'd say that this is still a good speaker and performs fine for me, but if you have the space and budget, I'd go with the Horizon or you may have buyer's remorse. If you are going the tower route for your mains, have the space, and your usage leans more towards movies over music, your 1st choice should be the Horizon.

Lunas (surround duty): They perform great for this purpose and I'd recommend them for HT surround use. I've not used them for any purpose other than surround duty. Their small size makes them a perfect fit for the Sanus steel series 30 inch stands too.

I decided to also make my "endgame" speaker purchase in 2020 and bought a pair of the Sierra Towers for my mains. I'll likely move the Sierra 2 EXs to rear surround duty and the Lunas for future height speakers. I feel the Sierra 2 EX speakers are too good for just "lowly" surround duty though. My towers should arrive this Thursday....well....UPS shows one box arriving on Wednesday and the other on Thursday....weird....

I'd say I'm 70% music & 30% movies, so I may just stick with the Duo center. Ultimately, I'm also curious on Dave's analysis/response based on the 3rd party test findings. If you're serious about your speaker test measurements, lean heavily towards movies, and OCD about having a soundstage/driver design that matches the towers exactly, swing for the Horizon center. Working with Dave & Dina has been an outstanding experience since I started my upgrade quest in mid-2019. It's hard to find such great service from a company and Ascend certainly delivers. If there is something awry, they'll make it right. Overall, that's my "Average Joe" just using my ears opinion.
    Last edited by Robert; 11-15-2020 at 02:53 PM.

UPS did the same thing to me when I got my Towers...box 2 showed up the day after box 1