Page 1 of 27 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Which center? Luna, S2, or Horizon?

Default Which center? Luna, S2, or Horizon?

I have a 5.1 setup with Sierra-1 L/R (soon to be upgraded to Sierra-2s), HTM-200SE for center and surrounds, and an LV12R sub.

What should I upgrade my center to? I'm considering Sierra Luna, Sierra-2, and Sierra Horizon.

Default Re: Which center? Luna, S2, or Horizon?

I would go with the Horizon w/RAAL. The dedicated mid range driver does wonders with dialogue and vocals.
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

Quote Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
    I would go with the Horizon w/RAAL. The dedicated mid range driver does wonders with dialogue and vocals.
    The midrange driver is an added bonus, but I would say that don't expect it to be a night/day difference with the Sierra-2 in terms of dialogue. The Sierra-2 is also great with dialogue and vocals.

IMO, Sierra-2 as L/C/R with HTM-200SEs as surrounds would be excellent. That's what I have.

Yes, I have heard the Horizon center. Yes, it is better as a center than the Sierra-2. But the Sierra-2 as a center is great in it's own right.

You have Sierra-2's. Move one to the center and try it.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The midrange driver is an added bonus, but I would say that don't expect it to be a night/day difference with the Sierra-2 in terms of dialogue. The Sierra-2 is also great with dialogue and vocals.

IMO, Sierra-2 as L/C/R with HTM-200SEs as surrounds would be excellent. That's what I have.

Yes, I have heard the Horizon center. Yes, it is better as a center than the Sierra-2. But the Sierra-2 as a center is great in it's own right.

You have Sierra-2's. Move one to the center and try it.
    I did that a few months back, even ran Dirac full and to my ears it is night and day difference.
    Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
    Media Room: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Horizon w/ RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE (x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 (x2) | Panasonic 820 | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony VW295ES | 92" Stewart ST100 |
    Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac|
    Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony 65Z9D |

Quote Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
    I did that a few months back, even ran Dirac full and to my ears it is night and day difference.
    I meant that for the original poster, but forgot that he doesn't have Sierra-2's yet.

Full-range, yes, the Horizon for sure, but the mids, for me, it isn't night and day, better for sure though.

As for dynamics, yes, Horizon, but then I would also add Towers for matching dynamics.

I am probably also biased in having a matching front soundstage.
    -curtis

Thanks for the impressions!

Currently, with my HTM-200SE center, I find myself turning up the volume further than I feel I should have to, for dialogue to be consistently clear.

Any other thoughts on Sierra-2 vs. Horizon for center?

In an A/B the Horizon might easily beat the Sierra 2 in large part because of its higher sensitivity. If you carefully level match, it will still likely beat the Sierra 2 - but not to be a "night and day" difference. But that's speculation on my part.

As to which one to get, if you can afford it and have enough space for it, get the Horizon. If space and/or budget is limited for any reason, get the Sierra 2.
    Last edited by Beave; 12-10-2017 at 04:59 PM.

I use XT32, and it does wonders for locking in balanced imaging.

Currently thinking that Sierra-2 center is the right balance of performance for the buck for me. Also, no current plans to upgrade to towers, and I'm sure having a matched L/C/R can't hurt.

Thanks for this thread. I'm moving my S2's from a dedicated listening room to my living room for HT duty, and was wondering the same thing. I'll likely make a trip down south for a single S2 for my center channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    Thanks for this thread. I'm moving my S2's from a dedicated listening room to my living room for HT duty, and was wondering the same thing. I'll likely make a trip down south for a single S2 for my center channel.
    What’s going into the dedicated room?
    -curtis