Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Which center? Luna, S2, or Horizon?

Default Re: Which center? Luna, S2, or Horizon?

Quote Originally Posted by daddyo View Post
    You've lived with the Duo for about a month, what are your impressions ?
    While the 2EX was no slouch I have to agree with the other posters, the Duo is an upgrade. Definitely better vocals which was the prime driver to replace the 2EX.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    HT Set-up: Anthem MRX-740, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower V2, Luna Duo V2 Center, Luna surrounds, Revel M55XC Heights, Rythmik F12
    Desktop/Gaming Set-up: Pioneer MRX-740 8K, Sierra LX LR, Ascend Luna V2 Center, Cambridge Minx Min 12 heights; Rythmik F12

So if the Duo is the better option for the center channel, even over the S2 EX, then wouldn’t the Dou’s as a LCR option be better too? I’m kinda confused over this. I have the S2 and really enjoy them and at some point this year, I plan to update to the EX. My dilemma is would changing to the Duo’s as my LCR be the better option? I would prefer to keep LCR speakers the same.

For cable TV or streaming movies/shows on iTunes/Netflix I don’t have any issues with the S2 as a center as they seem to share the dialogue with all LCR speakers equally, it’s when I watch blu ray/4K movies with HD audio when it seems to focus a lot on the center and maybe I could use improvements there. Are the Duo’s now considered as the better speaker than the S2? If we compare a LCR S2 EX vs Duo’s LCR what’s the difference for both set ups?

I do have a Rythmik sub (E15HP) which I have enjoyed as much as my S2’s, just trying to figure out the best upgrade option and a bit confused about what would be the best path for my LCR Duo Luna or S2 EX. What improvements does the S2 EX center have over the S2 as a center?

Any help here Dave?

Just from reviewing the specs & measurements:

The Duo Luna has higher sensitivity than the S2 EX, but doesn't have the bass extension that the S2 EX has.

Also, it has symmetric dispersion in horizontal and vertical directions instead of just horizontal (this may be more important if the two speakers are each on their side, ie, horizontal).

So if one doesn't have a subwoofer, the extra bass extension of the S2 EX probably makes it the winner.

With a subwoofer, it might depend more on placement and orientation than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
    So if the Duo is the better option for the center channel, even over the S2 EX
    This depends. The Duo center only becomes the better center channel option compared to the Sierra-2/2EX if using a subwoofer and if the Sierra-2/2EX can only be positioned horizontally. If no sub, or if the S2 center can be placed vertically - it is not the better center.

then wouldn’t the Dou’s as a LCR option be better too?
    No, in all circumstances unless on-wall mounting or space constraints - the Sierra-2/2EX is the better left right speaker. Typical center speaker placement dictates major compromises in performance due to a variety of issues (reflections, dispersion, baffle compensation, bass reinforcement) and the Duo, with its symmetrical horizontal and vertical dispersion, leads to more intelligible dialogue in typical installations. That said, the Duo as LCR is fantastic - especially as an on-wall speaker, but with typical left/right placement (stands etc.) - Sierra-2/2EX is superior.

I’m kinda confused over this. I have the S2 and really enjoy them and at some point this year, I plan to update to the EX. My dilemma is would changing to the Duo’s as my LCR be the better option? I would prefer to keep LCR speakers the same.
    If you want to keep the LCR all the same, I would recommend upgrading to Sierra-2EX.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    This depends. The Duo center only becomes the better center channel option compared to the Sierra-2/2EX if using a subwoofer and if the Sierra-2/2EX can only be positioned horizontally. If no sub, or if the S2 center can be placed vertically - it is not the better center.

No, in all circumstances unless on-wall mounting or space constraints - the Sierra-2/2EX is the better left right speaker. Typical center speaker placement dictates major compromises in performance due to a variety of issues (reflections, dispersion, baffle compensation, bass reinforcement) and the Duo, with its symmetrical horizontal and vertical dispersion, leads to more intelligible dialogue in typical installations. That said, the Duo as LCR is fantastic - especially as an on-wall speaker, but with typical left/right placement (stands etc.) - Sierra-2/2EX is superior.

If you want to keep the LCR all the same, I would recommend upgrading to Sierra-2EX.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you Dave! I’ll stay with my original plan on upgrading my S2 to the EX. I really appreciate you offering us upgrade kits, I did the upgrade from the S1 to S2 and soon to the EX, it keeps me as a customer!

I have a Sierra 2 center now paired with RAAL towers. I'd love to upgrade the center to a Horizon but it won't fit my cabinet (Salamander with center shelf 19.75"W x 19.5"D x 9"H). I'm considering a Duo versus a custom built Horizon. Any thoughts? For the folks that have upgraded from Sierra 2 to Duo (w/ sub & horizontal placement), are you still happy with the upgrade after initial impressions?

Quote Originally Posted by IndieGradoFan View Post
    I have a Sierra 2 center now paired with RAAL towers. I'd love to upgrade the center to a Horizon but it won't fit my cabinet (Salamander with center shelf 19.75"W x 19.5"D x 9"H). I'm considering a Duo versus a custom built Horizon. Any thoughts? For the folks that have upgraded from Sierra 2 to Duo (w/ sub & horizontal placement), are you still happy with the upgrade after initial impressions?
    I was in the same situation a year or so ago. Horizon wouldn't fit in my cabinet or on top under my tv riser. I went with the Duo and am still very happy with the upgrade from the horizontal S2 as center channel.

Quote Originally Posted by IndieGradoFan View Post
    For the folks that have upgraded from Sierra 2 to Duo (w/ sub & horizontal placement), are you still happy with the upgrade after initial impressions?
    Very. I'd never go back. The Duo punches well above its weight class. Well above.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Well this thread has been very surprising to me. I've been saving for a Sierra center and never even considered the Duo. Have a hard time believing it's a better center going by the specs and measurements but if you guys say so than so be it.

It’s hard to compare. All the measurements are taken with the speakers in vertical position (even the Duo despite it’s target audience being people who are looking to use it as a center channel). You’re kind of just going to be going off what people say they hear, which is a point of reference but hardly unbiased I would say. You have to try to distinguish between what is real versus what is people who want to hear something to justify their purchase. If you don’t mind paying for return shipping the best is to try both and see which one sounds better to you.