Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using Schiit DAC

Default Anyone using Schiit DAC

Hi Everyone,

I have sierra 2 LCR and a svs sb16 ultra powered by Yamaha DSP A1.

I am extremely happy with my setup.

Yamaha DSP A1 was flagship AVR of its time and its now 2 decades old.

I was wondering if using latest DAC such as Schiit BitFrost or Gungir Multibit will result in even better quality music listening experience.

IF anyone is using those DACs with ascend speakers, it would be great to hear their experience.

I am pretty sure that the amp section of DSP A1 is really good and i would like to keep using it for few more years or until its dead.
    This is because i bypassed the amp section and hooked up emotiva xpa 3 Gen 3 and felt like my 20 years old Yamaha is better/sweet sounding.

Default Re: Anyone using Schiit DAC

I have a Bifrost with Uber upgrade. I currently run it through a Plinius 9100 Integrated. Prior to this setup, I ran it through a Yamaha AS-501 Integrated. With the Yammie, I did a pretty thorough A/B of the Bifrost vs. the onboard DAC and there was a noticeable difference (to the positive). IMHO, the Bifrost is a high quality option at a pretty reasonable price. I got mine used and have never regretted the purchase.

When comparing DACs, make sure they are precisely level-matched.

Then make sure you do it in such a way that you don't know which is which when you listen.

You might be surprised at the results!

I run a microVortexbox to a Squeezebox Touch and am very pleased with the sound.
    Since the Touch has been long discontinued I picked up the BiFrost to futureproof my system
    and I am still very pleased with the sound. I AB'd the Touch and the BiFrost and both have
    great sound, though I could not tell much difference. The additional inputs on the BiFrost
    are a bonus.

I'm using a Schiit Yggdrasil (and Ragnarok) with a pair of RAAL equipped Horizons. I couldn't be happier with the pairing. Detail and imaging still amaze me after a year of listening.

Wow.. thank you so much Guys. your comments confirmed that schiit is a must try for ascend setup.

I am planning to do a home audition of Bitfrost Multibit, gungir multibit and Yggdrasil.

Whichever comes out to be the best bang for 90-95% of the quality, i will compare it with emotive XMC-1.

I will then keep either one.

Emotiva xmc-1 has also great burr-brown DAC + lots of processing/inputs. But if schiit Dacs are really ahead, i will keep schiit.

Quote Originally Posted by vicky View Post
    Whichever comes out to be the best bang for 90-95% of the quality, i will compare it with emotive XMC-1.

I will then keep either one.

Emotiva xmc-1 has also great burr-brown DAC + lots of processing/inputs. But if schiit Dacs are really ahead, i will keep schiit.
    Will you be utilizing the XMC’s Dirac implementation for the evaluation? Full or lite version?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Will you be utilizing the XMC’s Dirac implementation for the evaluation? Full or lite version?
    I am thinking to do lite version first. If lite itself comes out to be a better overall setup than using schiiit DAC, then i might not get full version. If for some reason schiit feels better, i will give a shot to live version.

and maybe at the end use schiit DAC with xmc-1 once and try although i am planning to keep only 1 at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by vicky View Post
    I am thinking to do lite version first. If lite itself comes out to be a better overall setup than using schiiit DAC, then i might not get full version. If for some reason schiit feels better, i will give a shot to live version.

and maybe at the end use schiit DAC with xmc-1 once and try although i am planning to keep only 1 at this time.
    Sounds good.

One thing though, using a DAC with the XMC means the signal goes through another round of analog to digital to analog conversions .... kind of defeats the whole purpose of the DAC.

i have the XMC-1 with the full version of Dirac and think it’s great.
    Last edited by curtis; 12-14-2017 at 04:10 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Sounds good.

One thing though, using a DAC with the XMC means the signal goes through another round of analog to digital to analog conversions .... kind of defeats the whole purpose of the DAC.

i have the XMC-1 with the full version of Dirac and think it’s great.
    Ya true. i suppose there is no point on using both even if xmc-1 had a digital bypass maybe.