Thread: Go from a AVR receiver to a 2 channel receiver for 2.1?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Go from a AVR receiver to a 2 channel receiver for 2.1?

I posted this on the avs forum as well but would probably be better suited here since we all have Ascend speakers.

I’m running a 2.1 system (Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2’s and a JL Audio e112 powered by a Yamaha RXA 1030) I have had the speakers for about 3.5 years now and I have really enjoyed them. They still make me smile every time I get a chance to actually sit down and listen to some music. Ive got little ones that are BUSY and my free time comes in 5 minute increments about once a day. lol

I started with the Yamaha AVR a few years ago due to the lack of a 2 channel receiver with bass management and digital inputs, or at least I couldn't find one at the time.

I’m probably a 50/50 mix of music and movies.

Would I be crazy to go to the new Outlaw RR2160? Would there be any appreciable sound difference? I use the YPAO room correction and only run it in 2 channel stereo or straight. I realize I would lose all of the room correction software.

The system sounds really nice, but I have the itch to go to a more simplified 2 channel receiver. With the RR2160 I can still take advantage of my other components since it has digital inputs for sound. It also has bass management so I can still cross over to the sub.

Would I be making a lateral/negative move? Would there be anything to really gain from making a switch like this?

I know the best option is to trial the Outlaw, but just wanted some other opinions as well.

I wont be expanding to anything bigger/more speakers. I barely got this approved. lol
    Last edited by diesel79; 12-01-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Default Re: Go from a AVR receiver to a 2 channel receiver for 2.1?

One option would be to get an external 2 or 5 channel amplifier. I would think that a Yamaha with an external amplifier would be very hard to distinguish from the Outlaw RR2160.

On the other hand you might not even need the amplifier at all. Are you far away from the speakers and/or do you listen quite loud? If so, you might be in need of an amplifier. If not, then the the difference in what you would hear with the Outlaw or an external amplifier might be either very subtle or nothing at all. In that case, it might be best to take that money and spend it elsewhere.

I just read the review, https://www.stereophile.com/content/...tereo-receiver For 799 it has a lot of value. And as a previous outlaw and yamaha owner they both make a nice product. But imho I doubt it would be a lateral move. I would venture to say the yamaha probably measures and sounds better they typically do a nice implementaiton with their dac's and have a much better noise floor. Plus and you have the room correction, airplay streaming, remote app and many other features etc.. I think you'd be crazy to switch even though you don't use all it's capablities. Why may I ask your looking to do this? Are you looking to repurpose the yamaha?
    Last edited by eyecatcher; 12-06-2017 at 02:40 PM.
    Ascend Sierra ELX Towers RAAL | Ascend Sierra ELX Horizon RAAL | Ascend HTM-200SE | Rythmik F15HP | Anthem D2v 3D | Parasound Halo A51 | Schiit Yggdrasil OG | OPPO 105D

Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    I wont be expanding to anything bigger/more speakers. I barely got this approved. lol
    I know the feeling. But you have to know that the biggest bang for your buck is going to be 5.1. Especially that center channel for movie dialog. You wife would probably love that; mine did. She likes that I can run the center channel a couple of dB hot so she can hear the dialog a bit easier. Imagine that -- she wants to hear the dialog. I want to hear the effects, from explosions and door slams (and anything else that exercises my subs), to all the noises that come from behind the visual (that is, behind our seats), be they bullets, door creaks, helicopters in the distance getting closer, phone's ringing, shoes approaching, all that. All that stuff supports the story being told, all of it makes it easier to "get into" the movie and "suspend your disbelief".

I'm just sayin', there's something about women and dialog. I'm not saying they are wrong, just that they often have different priorities than guys. Which is part of the attraction for me.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    I know the feeling. But you have to know that the biggest bang for your buck is going to be 5.1. Especially that center channel for movie dialog. You wife would probably love that; mine did. She likes that I can run the center channel a couple of dB hot so she can hear the dialog a bit easier. Imagine that -- she wants to hear the dialog. I want to hear the effects, from explosions and door slams (and anything else that exercises my subs), to all the noises that come from behind the visual (that is, behind our seats), be they bullets, door creaks, helicopters in the distance getting closer, phone's ringing, shoes approaching, all that. All that stuff supports the story being told, all of it makes it easier to "get into" the movie and "suspend your disbelief".

I'm just sayin', there's something about women and dialog. I'm not saying they are wrong, just that they often have different priorities than guys. Which is part of the attraction for me.
    I didn’t read as careful as I thought. I thought diesel79 already had a 5.1 setup. I’m with Bruce on this. Definitely try to fill out the 5.1 speakers first before you think about a different receiver or amplifier. But, I would suggest surround speakers first, as they will make the bigger impact. If they can only be sold with wife approval factor, focusing on how the center can improve dialog intelligibility, then maybe that is fine. But, with Sierra 2s, dialog intelligibility is not really an issue. I remember watching the Dark Knight Rises in the theaters and couldn’t understand half of what Bane was saying, even thought it was playing at reference volume. In my untreated basement it comes through loud and clear without listening anywhere near reference volume. While the Sierra 2s can often trick you into thinking that you have surround speakers when playing a well recorded stereo mix, dedicated surround speakers give you that effect much more frequently.

I wasn’t looking to repurpose the Yamaha. I was more or less wanting to see if I could squeeze anything more out of the S2’s with a high quality dedicated stereo receiver. After reading input I’m thinking there are a lot of pros with the yamaha and it might not be the best use of funds.

The S2’s for movies are crazy good. Even with my 2.1 setup you would swear there was a center channel and at times surrounds.

I used to have a 5.1 and I miss it. My newish house is all open and to get surround speakers my only option would be ceiling speakers. It’s not an ideal setup for a good listening room/movie room.

One good thing is I have it all pre wired so it would be pretty easy to cut some holes in my ceiling. I can get sonance speakers at dealer cost. I would prefer Luna’s but no idea how I could mount them.

Now ya got me wanting a S2 center and some surrounds. Lol
    Last edited by diesel79; 12-06-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Maybe speaker stands for surrounds?

For you sitting in the sweet spot, I’m not even sure you would notice the difference with a center channel. If others care about sound quality and ait off axis, then maybe there is a case for it.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Maybe speaker stands for surrounds?

For you sitting in the sweet spot, I’m not even sure you would notice the difference with a center channel. If others care about sound quality and ait off axis, then maybe there is a case for it.
    Speakers on stands wouldn’t be an option. They would back up to my dining area and a busy walkway. I also have a 1.5 year old son who is extremely busy and curious. He would have them tipped over in no time. Lol.